Install flooring over old 12x12 flooring with possible asbestos glue.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo

I was going to remove old stick-down floor tiles before installing Torly's 1 x 3' click-together cork planks "Traditions Plank". I noticed the black adhesive on the back of the exisiting flexible 12x12" flooring tiles which, I suspect is an asbestos product. Wearing a respirator, I spent some time trying to scrape off the sticky residue but not much luck. I read about various products one can use to remove or coat the sticky residue. Hubby suggested just installing the new cork planks on top. At first I did not want to do this because the old tile is in very poor condition, but I have a bunch of inexpensive stick-down tiles which I could use to fill where I've removed broken tiles. Otherwise, the floor seems quite flat and I think the floating cork should accommodate minor imperfections. My inclination is to get all asbestos out of the house, but we have already spent a small fortune to have some textured wall plaster removed from around one old window. I think I could live with the idea of having the old flooring underneath. Any thoughts? The pics are of the existing flooring.

Attachments

• IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 107
If you thought you spent lots of money already, get a bid to remove that stuff, then check your shorts. LOL
Leave it and float over it, hence the beauty of floating floors.

There
Asbestos is not dangerous unless it is "friable" , that means a dust in the air. Just cover it and forget it.
I can't be sure if the asbestos is in more than just the gooey parts and I can't be sure if the drier bits, 'friable' are deteriorated old tile, dust or ?? I think I will cover it. thank you.

If you thought you spent lots of money already, get a bid to remove that stuff, then check your shorts. LOL
Leave it and float over it, hence the beauty of floating floors.
I'm inclined to float over it and eventually will learn to forget about it. Cost us over 5K to have part of one wall cleared of asbestos.

There

I can't be sure if the asbestos is in more than just the gooey parts and I can't be sure if the drier bits, 'friable' are deteriorated old tile, dust or ?? I think I will cover it. thank you.

I'm inclined to float over it and eventually will learn to forget about it. Cost us over 5K to have part of one wall cleared of asbestos.
Probably cost more than 5k to get the flooring removed. Most of the asbestos was in the adhesive.

Latest posts

Back