Install Smart

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
How many make an effort to install smart? I didnt and I'm paying for it. I carried rolls of 300lb plus carpet and vinyl by myself for years. I thought. I'm a big guy and it's too slow to use a dolly. In the last week, I've had 3 shots in my hip. I no longer do regular vinyl because I can't carry in the vinyl roller. Anyone else done this to themself? Maybe if you tell about it, we can get some of the younger installers to install smart. Any ideas to make it easier on the body? Ever talk to an old installer who didn't limp?

How many make an effort to install smart? I didnt and I'm paying for it. I carried rolls of 300lb plus carpet and vinyl by myself for years. I thought. I'm a big guy and it's too slow to use a dolly. In the last week, I've had 3 shots in my hip. I no longer do regular vinyl because I can't carry in the vinyl roller. Anyone else done this to themself? Maybe if you tell about it, we can get some of the younger installers to install smart. Any ideas to make it easier on the body? Ever talk to an old installer who didn't limp?

Or one who was bent over at the hip like he is looking for something on the ground.
Always 2 people on the end of a carpet or vinyl. Quit kicking in rooms, wear kevlar glove on the non-cutting hand. And most of all to me is wear hearing protection!!!!!

Daris

I was taught by old school Italians .
They didn't believe in the wheel .

Worked by myself for about 5 years . Bought every wheel they made . I lugged my share of 3 - 400 lb rugs in by myself . I don't limp , or bend over , and their is still a little glide to the slide . My body is just in constant pain from the neck down . Nothing in the head to hurt . :)

Thats why I only carry boxes of wood, laminate and cork, maybe some tile once in a while. Hey that rhymes, I 'm also a poet. :D

Still hauling it in,but not everyday. I am one of the lucky one's, don't hurt anywhere, stll playing softball on Fri. evenings. Will be 58 and a few weeks.

I use the buddy buddy system 2 people all the time. For heavy rolls of vinyl or lino we use the hand truck or sack barrow as we call it.
Buddy system is 100% fail safe. Let the buddies haul in the carpet, pad and tool box. :D
I'll be 54 in a bit and in the past 2 years my body has aged 5.
I don't kick anything in. I can't use my left knee as a kickin knee even for simply hookin on the strip to get a room started. If I try even lightly, my knee will get a little stiff and puffy.
........so I just won't kick anything in.
My right knee is workin fine. It's in consultation right now with my left knee. Right knee is winning the conversation.
This is a hard trade if you want to do it long haul.

I learned early on to avoid carpet. "It's bull work," they explained when I asked them why they didn't want any part of it.

Plain and simple. I got the message. If you need me to lay carpet I'm right there and I'm decent at it. But I'd rather be elsewhere. If there's a 40' cut that has to go up 3 flights I'm going to need someone on the ass end of that or I'll be cutting it in half and making a cross seam in the middle before I carry that sucker up by my lonesome.

Latest posts

Back