Installation tips (satire)

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know, in the UK flat bar is put in all doorways? It is considered the right way to do it.
Thats what was common in SF when i moved there in the early 80's. Kinda freaked me out.
People actually complained if there was no flatbar in doorways.

I'd like to get away with that. :D My customers have no English appreciations. :rolleyes:

Latest customer with that huge living room was concerned she could see the seam. I'm pretty darn good, but a 44 footer with a low profile looped pile?
...I'm not that good. :D Honestly I was thrilled how good this seam looked, but she assumed invisible. Not that a customer wouldn't assume so. They don't know what we do.
Much of the furniture is back in place, and it's centered on the seam, facing the fireplace. That reduces the seam visibility by 25 feet. 10 feet was already invisible because the room's southern lighting direction was working for me and a bit of foot traffic will blend in the rest fairly fast.
Customer is really happy and I will be too, .........tomorrow night, ...........after 6 of us carry the baby grand Steinway .......down the steps to it's final resting place in the living room. I hope the nearest corner, not the 48 feet away corner. :D

Last edited:
Bak on topic.
https://www.expressflooring.com/blog/common-carpet-seam-mistakes/
Mistake 1: Do not stretch the carpet perpendicular to the seams- That’s what makes the seams peak. Stretch the carpet parallel to the seams. :eek:
3: During the carpet installation, if the seams are not matched properly then this may lead to seam splitting. This can be very dangerous as people may trip on it.:eek:

Whatever tools you use during installation must be free from dust and dirt. Use the proper glue and follow instructions well. :eek:

A time taking task is to try to match the seams of new pieces with those of old ones. The main problem will be with the thickness of the padding. :eek:Choose a thinner padding for the new ones, which should be like the old one. Stretch the seams as close together as possible. Apply tape or adhesive and then iron the seams well. :eek:

....................sometimes it's just the wording that bothers me.
Other times............. OK, maybe it's the author.:D
He does make some good points. pre-stretching and seaming over a hard surface.

Last edited:
Not all bad, but I disagree.
http://www.pelletierrug.com/carpet-seam-peaking.php

• Use wider seam tape. It is amazing how many professionals believe this is a "solution". In our experience, this has NEVER eliminated seam peaking. Refer to the video, and you will clearly see that using a longer length of carpet binding glued to the bottom of the boards will have no effect on the resulting seam peak whatsoever. It could have an impact IF the seam tape is totally rigid, but it is not. In reality, seam tape does have slight rigidity, but the resulting change is minimal. Consider this to be "wishful thinking" rather than a solution.
  • Edge sealing seams. While this is required so the carpet does not come apart at the seam, it has no effect on seam peaking.
  • Prestretching. Again, this is an excellent technique to get a good longitudinal stretch on the carpet, but it does not address seam peaking.
  • Construct on a flat rigid surface. Yet, again, doing so will help an installer make a better quality seam. But . . . it does not address seam peaking.
Seam sealing (thermo)
Pre-stretching
Seaming on a flat ridged surface

ALL of those methods help seam peaking and seam showing issues. I'm guessing that guy has never tried any of them. Maybe he sells carpet and has never installed any.

Ugh, expressflooring. They run a million ads on every venue promising 70% every day. I've been out behind them where people have thrown them out of the house. One salesman tells everyone it's going to cost 30 grand, one other salesman told this lady 1,000 sf of cheap 70 cent laminate was going to cost 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS!. I caught them with several websites like expressflooringcomplaints.com where they lure people in who complain then delete their complaint.
I went to just check them out one day as they had an ad for installers. Saleslady calls in on speaker phone, she asks how many square feet in tile that measures 12 x 12 inches. Not kidding. LOL

As far as prestretching goes I'm not a believer. Only did it to match seams, I believe over stretching perpendicular to a seam will make it peak.

Finally I never step foot in the floorpro site so thats all french to me.

Last edited:
Ugh, expressflooring. They run a million ads on every venue promising 70% every day. I've been out behind them where people have thrown them out of the house. One salesman tells everyone it's going to cost 30 grand, one other salesman told this lady 1,000 sf of cheap 70 cent laminate was going to cost 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS!. I caught them with several websites like expressflooringcomplaints.com where they lure people in who complain then delete their complaint.
I went to just check them out one day as they had an ad for installers. Saleslady calls in on speaker phone, she asks how many square feet in tile that measures 12 x 12 inches. Not kidding. LOL

As far as prestretching goes I'm not a believer. Only did it to match seams, I believe over stretching perpendicular to a seam will make it peak.

I don't believe in prestetching either.
And I always make my seams on the pad and have never had a problem.

Same here ..

Latest posts

Back