Installing and finishing hardwood floor on floor heating

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiriki-kun

Hi,

In few months i will have a new house, and i want to install there hardwood floors. I want to do it myself, because it will be cheaper (we are a little tight with budget), and i just want to. I like doing things myself :)
Right now, i'm reading a lot about it, and i'm doing some tests.

I will split this in two parts, ground floor and first floor.

First floor:
Here, i have 3 roms that are ~10m2 each. I'm thinking about it as my "range", because i will do this first. Because of that, i bought old ash mosaic. It's ~20 years old and cost around 3$/m2, so i don't care about it that much. It's not the best choice because i will have floor heating installed, but i hope that small size of mosaic will compensate ashs parameters (although i found on some sites, that there are better than oak).

Right now, i'm thinking about using polyurethane glue Wakol 215 PU. I'm not sure about it, because i couldn't find comprehesive comparison. Mostly comments from random people on the internet, like "i'm using 1,2,3 from 20 years and it's the best. I never used anything different", which aren't helpfull.

For finishing, i will rent a dust-free belt or planetary grinder (which one is better? Right now i'm thinking about belt grinder), and i bought bosch PBS 75 AE for works in small areas. After that i will apply filler mixed with dust from last grinding. After that i was thinking about hard wax oil, because i found that they are equal to lacquers in therms of water and dirtproofing. Which one will be the best for high durability? I was thinking about "Bona hard wax oil". Are there better types of oils?

Also, my ash mosaic is quite uneven, and o was thinking if i can do something about it, or just fill everything with filler?
It's glued to paper underlay, i think that i should disassembly it, and install it piece by piece. Do you have any suggestions how i can remove papier easy and fast? I was trying to spray it with water, and rub away, but that worked really poor.

Cement screed will be made by a professional company, so it should have enough strengh (20 MPa is enough, or should i go for 30 MPa?), should be level and i will check moisture level before work (should be below 1,8% CM).

Ground floor:
Here, i have new ipe lamparquet, to install in living room (25m2) and in kitchen (7m2). I thought about using glue and hardwax mentioned earlier. Also, there will be floot heating.
On photos you can see patterns i choosed, the dutch one will be in living room (approximately 5x5 meters). Should i split it to smaller surfaces?
Also, small gaps can be seen. They don't bother me much but i noticed that staves are now a little longer than wider. I'm not sure about moisture level in room, so they could just took more moisture. Should i try to do something about it, or simply fill gaps? Of course i will acllimate wood before installing so they can dissapear. Or get bigger. I thought about two weeks for ipe.

Ok, i know it's quite long, but i wand to give you a full picture. A will appreciate any help. Right now, my biggest concerne is choosing glue and oil.

Below are some photos of mosaic, and my installation tests:
https://imgur.com/a/cOBeg

Thanks for any help
Lucas

Lucas, nice looking product. But you do NOT want to try and sand it with a belt or planetary grinder. Get a pro to sand and finish.

Get a good one .. If they use a drum , they have to sand it on a 45.. Only way to drum that product ..

The thing is, i want to do this myself.
1. I like doing things myself
2. Hiring someone will be more expensive than floor itself
3. Parquet is not popular in my region, especially on floor heating
4. I have no recomandation, so i can easily hire someone worse than me
5. I just want to do it myself, even if it won't be perfect

Labor is more expensive than lots of flooring. Especially if it is installed improperly and you have to throw away the first job.

Latest posts

Back