Installing click lock hardwood on stair landing adjacent to tiled floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Tarr

I am installing click lock hardwood on the stair landing at the bottom of the stairs. The flooring adjacent to the stair landing will be tiled. My question is should the riser of the landing sit on top of the tile of the floor or should the tile butt up against the riser?

Thanks in advance for all advice.
Regards,
Gary

I'd put the tile in first. Just make sure that the row of tile where that riser will be is very flat. That's not a place I would want for tile uneven because the riser piece would amplify the unevenness.
Depending on how flat the tile is finished, you could add a base shoe after the tile is installed.
I suppose it could be done the other way around but that would be my own preference.

I'd put the tile in first. Just make sure that the row of tile where that riser will be is very flat. That's not a place I would want for tile uneven because the riser piece would amplify the unevenness.
Depending on how flat the tile is finished, you could add a base shoe after the tile is installed.
I suppose it could be done the other way around but that would be my own preference.

Thanks for your reply and advice.
Gary

Me personally, I would go the other way around and here's my logic....

Which are you more likely to replace first, the flooring or the riser? My guess would be the flooring. If the riser is sitting on top of the tile and you replace the floor with something thinner, then you'll have to re-address or replace the riser to accommodate the lower flooring height. Also, if the riser is not "closed" and might be visible from the end then there is a higher possibility you may see any gaps or height difference and it may become problematic to "hide".

We run into this a lot today where people installed laminate and they are now replacing it with a glue down or thinner LVT. It creates some real head scratchers.

Either way is completely fine. Just trying to save a possible future headache.

In my reply Gary, I'm assuming you're putting tile on a floor and the riser and stairs go upwards from the tile. If you're talking ceramic tile, it's going to last a lot longer than a laminate floor even though they both will last for a long time. If I'm reading this right, if you replace the stairs someday years down the road, you wouldn't want the riser piece to be embedded in the tile in case you needed to remove it.
Either way would work. You could even install a base shoe or a quarter round in between the tile and the riser if the effect looks good.

I am installing click lock hardwood on the stair landing at the bottom of the stairs. The flooring adjacent to the stair landing will be tiled. My question is should the riser of the landing sit on top of the tile of the floor or should the tile butt up against the riser?

Thanks in advance for all advice.
Regards,
Gary
Hi

this can go 2 ways.
You can overlap it which I don’t recommend but I would install tile but leave a void (thickness of tile) so you can Install the riser after, you can successfully do this if you can remove the tread then reinstall after riser. This would be the cleanest look and silicone match to the grout color to caulk the leading edge of tile kissing the riser. This will finish the detail

I bought red oak retreads from LL and they came out beautiful. Stain is Zar Teak Natural followed by 2 coats of semigloss polyurethane

Attachments

• A3A2174E-0DFE-49BA-A5CF-87223C19C198.jpeg
    A3A2174E-0DFE-49BA-A5CF-87223C19C198.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 142
  • FA6DA0BD-278B-41D3-86B7-EFD42DB5C97E.jpeg
    FA6DA0BD-278B-41D3-86B7-EFD42DB5C97E.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 140
Hi

this can go 2 ways.
You can overlap it which I don’t recommend but I would install tile but leave a void (thickness of tile) so you can Install the riser after, you can successfully do this if you can remove the tread then reinstall after riser. This would be the cleanest look and silicone match to the grout color to caulk the leading edge of tile kissing the riser. This will finish the detail

Thank you for your suggestion.
Gary

Latest posts

Back