Installing flooring with baseboards already attached.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brlymeguy

I know it's ideal to install baseboards last, but this is a newly rebuilt room that I volunteered to put a laminate floor down in, and I knew I would ugly up the trim had I tried it myself, so we just got the guy to go ahead with all the trim and baseboards. I figured I would just leave an expansion gap and put quarter round.

Seems like plenty of people do it that way, but I know it's not ideal, which is why I'm brought to this question. How should I go about laying the 6 mil poly vapor barrier with the baseboards already attached? The new drywall and baseboards are both 1/2" off the floor. I've heard some say to run it slightly up the baseboard. Being that we left an intentional gap underneath, would there be a better way? I know, ripping the baseboards out and doing it properly would give the best end result, but it's really not a great option for me if I don't have to. I'm dealing with some health issues, which is why the room was gutted to begin with, and I'm doing some of the work to save my parents money. Any advice is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back