Installing new driver

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
My PC (Win XP) has a NVIDEA GE Force 6600 LE graphics card. I downloaded the latest 149mb driver. It's in a folder in my downloads.
Should I just open up the folder and install it that way, or go to Device manager and have it look for the new driver?
I'm guessing new drivers remove the old ones?

1. To manually update driver in Windows XP, follow these steps:
  2. Click on Start menu.
  3. Right-click on My Computer and click Manage.
  4. Click Device Manager in left pane.
  5. In Device Manager window, expand categories and locate the device that you wish to update the driver for..

1. To manually update driver in Windows XP, follow these steps:
  2. Click on Start menu.
  3. Right-click on My Computer and click Manage.
  4. Click Device Manager in left pane.
  5. In Device Manager window, expand categories and locate the device that you wish to update the driver for..
I did that, but had to select a location for the confuser to look. I put it in a folder in my downloads. I can select the correct folder, but the OK button is non functional. It's not lit up ............. it's faded.

I did that, but had to select a location for the confuser to look. I put it in a folder in my downloads. I can select the correct folder, but the OK button is non functional. It's not lit up ............. it's faded.
Don't put it in a folder ..

Way to late............
I opened it up and installed it. Computer hasn't been starting up well for a long time now. Sometimes I have to restart 5 to 30 times to get the confuzer up and running. I can get to the log in page, then log in and it doesn't continue loading.
Now it won't start no mater how many attempts.
I did insert the XP disk the previous owner let me borrow. I could tap F8 and choose what to do from there, but since I don't know what I'm doing, all I selected was disk check. That came out fine.... no problems found. So I can get the the DOS/command screen. I just don't know what to do from there.
I can't use safe mode because I don't have the previous owners master password.

I can't use the computer at home, so my internet capacity is pretty much a pain right now. I can use my W10 notebook at the Carpet One store.

It looks to me like some hardware problem. I'd start with testing hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html/page__view__findpost__p__160520
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

Computer will not start at all. I just get to the log on page. When I get there and click to log on, the computer will not continue on.
......or do you mean do the download on a different computer and onto to a flash and use the flash during startup on the PC?

Latest posts

Back