Installing Vinyl Planks in Damp Environment

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelamb

We are considering installing a vinyl plank floor in the kitchen of a Michigan summer home with a basement. It is an old drafty place that gets winterized every fall so there is no winter HVAC. Lots of damp rise from basement. I have concerns about the dampness and this material. Any thoughts?

This is the type of stuff we are considering: Wellmade Luxury Vinyl Plank 6" x 36"

Commercial/Residential: Both
Construction: PVC fiberglass inner layer
Surface Finish: Urethane
Surface Type: Embossed Underlayment Needed: No
Backing: PVC Installation Method: Click together
Protective Wear Layer: Urethane Wear Layer Thickness: 12mil
Resistant to: Scratch Shock Absorbent: Yes
Hypoallergenic: Yes Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor

You shouldn't be concerned about a floor you are installing. You should be fully confident of its capabilities. If you aren't, then don't install it.

I am also concerned about temperature which will get into the teens or lower in winter. Expansion/contraction of vinyl.

Check the specs. Every manufacturer is different

Not really Ken.

55 degrees is fairly consistent across the vinyl flooring manufacturers as far as everything I've ever read concerning minimum temperature after the installation for the duration.......if the warranty is to remain valid.

Actually Incog, there is no limit on Core Tec except for a 140 degree max. so THPPPP!

Im sorry that was immature. my apologies.

My equally immature response..........then it's NOT vinyl.

So THERE.

Seriously though......that's the POINT of the new technologies......to get around those horrible deficiencies of VINYL. But that comes at a significantly higher cost. So now are we still talking VINYL? I think not.

THPPPP!

right back atcha

Hi

The more fiberglass gives it more stability, that's means no big contractions to low temperatures and no big expansions to high temperatures. Give it a good gap or distance from the wall and you will have no problem, a good distance to consider it's 3/8 of an inch. This products it is awesome but it's has to be a good one, good raw materials (pvc) and the right amount of fiberglass.

Also you must have a very even surfaces not a perfect flat one but it has to be very clean and even.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back