Is it a good idea to use glue for SPC (like Gaia Red)?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipetsk

I am in process of installing Gaia Red SPC at my house. I have 2nd floor (plywood subfloor) floating and stairs glued down done already. Now it is turn for the first floor (700 sq feet, concrete slab) to get the flooring.

At the 2nd floor I feel a few cavities under the planks and it immediately gives me a cheapo floor feeling. I want to avoid the same problem for my first floor. I talked with some contractors and they say that it is a known problem with floating floors. It is required enormous efforts to prepare concrete slab to make it really smooth and most likely there still be some "cavities feeling" under my feet.

At the same time SPC glued down at the stairs feel solid and I like it.

So now I have a dilemma - is it a good idea to glue down Gaia SPC to concrete slab or not? I like how the stairs feel but I have concerns about gluing down it for the whole 1st floor:
1. The manufacturer installation instructions do not say anything about gluing down planks RED INSTALLATION - GAIAFLOOR I also heard that SPC are susceptible to thermal variation and require some room for expansion. So if I glue down the SPC and then the california heat comes to my house. Will it buckle up the floor?
2. how easy it will be to remove the glued SPC? Let's say I would want to replaces the floors in 10 years from now. How much efforts it is going to be?

Are there any other concerns or things I need to know before installing SPC with glue?

Your best bet would be to call them and get whatever they recommend in writing.
I'm not familiar with that particular product. But there's a lot of manufacturers that say you can glue down their products.
As for how big a pain it is to remove glued down material.... They can be a royal pain in the ass!!! Oftentimes they require mechanical assistance.

Have you checked the flatness of the concrete with a good 8-10' straightedge? I wouldn't go crazy until you know what you're working with. Also the prep work will have to be just as good as if you were floating it. Glue won't solve hollow spots. It will probably be a bigger problem if it's hollow with tacky glue. Possibly might end up with popping noise from planks making contact when walked on and releasing from the glue.

Latest posts

Back