Is tar paper used under stair treads and risers?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnw8w8

I was wondering if one should use the same tar paper under stair treads and risers that one uses under the engineered flooring. The treads and risers are solid red oak.

Cmon guys. You gotta stop putting flooring on stairs. Check out nustair. I use their products all the time. Its so much easier, faster, and better looking. I might have a picture if I look around.

6196783.jpg

ForumRunner_20130304_211928.jpg

ForumRunner_20130304_211944.jpg

Cmon guys. You gotta stop putting flooring on stairs. Check out nustair. I use their products all the time. Its so much easier, faster, and better looking. I might have a picture if I look around.

Are they the ones who claim they can perfectly match any prefinished engineered?

I'd rather to treads than multiple planks of stairs myself. But convincing someone to do it out here is like pulling teeth on a chimpanzee.

They can match any major brand prefinish. I installed Bruce Kennedale Maple in 4" width in their cinnamon color and Nustair matched it for me. They charge extra for custom matches, I think it was like an extra $12/lft. So the 36" treads that I ordered were an extra $36/tread. They came out awesome. Wish I had a picture of that one. Theyve got every popular species aside from bamboo. Something to do with the bonding process not being up to their standards.

Are you kidding me with convincing customers? I usually charge $100/step for installing hardwood or laminate on steps but Ill go $75/step with this or cheaper if Im doing alot of other flooring in the house, and those prices do not include materials. Its so much easier, no cutting off the noses, no ripping out every single imperfection. I can do a whole set and be done to pick my girls up from school and they only go til 2, haha.

Actually no, they sell basic treads and something they call a double return, which has that finished edge on both sides and you just cut off the one you don't need. NuStair is the easiest thing I've done to a step. Call the company, the owner's name is Steve if I remember correctly. Tell him Ken from Skyro Floors in south jersey sent you.

...But convincing someone to do it out here is like pulling teeth on a chimpanzee.

With so many floors being distressed in some way or having a unique edge finish I can see why customers would rather have matching stairs. Makes sense to me.

I took over a job from another installer who told the customer that he couldnt put flooring on stairs because it would affect the stability of the staircase. :eek: I think he just didnt know how to do it, lol. Poor guy, I almost felt bad for snaking the job on him.

Ken said:
I took over a job from another installer...

How do you "take over" a job unless they work for you? Or you both work for the same third party.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back