Is there a term, happy Memoral Day?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Happy Thanksgiving, Happy 4th................ but for this, I've never known the right words................ are there any? Is there a proper "greeting"?
I'm thinking not.
I watched PBS tonight, the National Memorial Concert. Without watching such a show, a lot of us wouldn't feel the impacts that war has had on our citizens, be it enlisted............ friends, & family.
Very moving show. I have never experienced any military service. Nobody in my family was directly affected by the Vietnam War. I had a paper route in '73 and never experienced the draft. That said, I can only .............inaccurately imagine what many people suffer from those losses.
I'm not a religious person, but it's not hard to think otherwise when seeing a show like this.
The show was hosted by Joe Mantegna and Mary McCormack. I've seen it before with Gary Sinise. He couldn't do the show this year. A TV show like this makes a person proud to live where we do and appreciate the sacrifices of people we never met. Pulls out tears even when you try to hold them back.

Last edited:
watched a 48 hours episode about a soldier, John Needham. He was in 4 IED attacks. Came back from Afghanistan with his brain bleeding, a broken back and PTSD. Got no help. Killed his girlfriend and then himself at 26. Army study of 460 from Ft Carson, 14 killed someone after they got back. 40% of the 460 violently attacked someone. For some, the war never ends until they die.

watched a 48 hours episode about a soldier, John Needham. He was in 4 IED attacks. Came back from Afghanistan with his brain bleeding, a broken back and PTSD. Got no help. Killed his girlfriend and then himself at 26. Army study of 460 from Ft Carson, 14 killed someone after they got back. 40% of the 460 violently attacked someone. For some, the war never ends until they die.
PBS had a program documenting every day life of a soldier who had returned from Afghanistan with PTSD. The guy and his wife raised chickens. He had a lot of guns around the house and his behavior with them was a bit scary at times.... it was a rural area where they lived. At some point they showed the medications he was taking. Now that was scary. Must have had 20 or more pill bottles from anxiety medications to Oxycontin. I can't imagine that many medicines being needed. The guy definitely had issues. He got rid of a lot of his guns before his first child was born. He seemed to do better after the kid was born........ maybe something positive to stay focused on. It was a reality show just showing the couples everyday life relating to his PTSD. Too bad there isn't more that can be done for these guys.

I also know many police officers who have had to retire from duty due to PTSD. It's real folks. Having been in 5-6 firefights,where the bad guy was killed each and every time, is not easy to cope with, especially when you watched them take their last breaths on earth.

On a different note, I was at a Home Depot recently and the clerk asks me, "If you are a military veteran, we will give you 10% off everything." I told her many military are reserves, who have only shot their guns at the range a few times and serve as few as 2 years. I asked, "what about a police officer, who fought the war daily on our streets for 25 years?" She agreed and offers me 10%, but none of the other clerks offer this generous discount.

I put police and fire fighters in the same league. They also serve. I can't imagine a night stop even for a tail light out. You never know if it's a teenager coming home from a game, a felon on the run or a crazy. My hat's off to you Hav.

audie murphy.jpg

No need to worry anymore Hi. I hung up that hat, so I will probably die while picking up dog poop, after I trip and fall face first into a pile and suffocate!
I'd be content with that if it happened to me......................... I don't own a dog, so it might be a bit weird. :D

Latest posts

Back