Is this concrete or gypcrete?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One test is the scratch test. If you can dig a nail into it rather easily its gyp.
I've seen gyp poured over top of concrete for a floating floor system. Mostly its overtop of plywood. No one does real concrete over a wood substrate. Lightweight concrete is different than gyp as lightweight concrete is poured overtop of a metal pan.

The image is very confusing. Too close up, and it looks like a beach with driftwood or some rotten wood laying there.
Gypcrete can be relatively hard on it's surface if it's poured correctly and has the sealer on it. That said it's soft once you get past the top surface.
Soft is a relative term.
The photo again shows no scale to determine what we are looking at. Looks like there is an 18 inch piece of rotted wood in the photo............... but nobody uses wood chunks as a filler in concrete or Gypcrete. Gypcrete has fine aggregate and the image shows what looks to be large aggregate. Even light weight, pumped in concrete would probably have smaller aggregate that what's shown.
Like I said, the photo is very confusing.............. looks like another planet because it includes no visual references as to the size of what we are looking at. Another photo or two would help a lot.

Last edited:
Be aware, if it is gypcrete, it may be less than 2 inches thick and poured over 3/4 " plywood. I see that all the time. I have never seen a concrete floor like that because of the weight.
If you have ever wondered why gypcrete is not used in basements, it deteriorates if it comes in contact with dirt. My uncle worked in a place that made gypcrete blocks. Customers were warned that they were not to be used for foundations.

Latest posts

Back