Is this floor repairable without sanding?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill

Hi all.
I've been annoyed by these compression scuffs in our solid hardwood floor by some overzealous refrigerator delivery guys prior to us owning the home. They struggled to maneuver the fridge into position and let the wheels put compression scuffs into the wood.
Is there anyway to repair this (see pics) without sanding and refinishing the floor because the floor still is beautiful and these scuffs only show when the angel and light shines in house just right, but I'd still like to repair.
Was wondering if anyone had fixed dents or compression scuffs like this using the warm damp water sponge and getting the wood to swell back out?

Attachments

• IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3645.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3654.PNG
    IMG_3654.PNG
    709.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3655.PNG
    IMG_3655.PNG
    714.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3657.PNG
    IMG_3657.PNG
    726 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3658.PNG
    IMG_3658.PNG
    663.5 KB · Views: 162
If it hasn't broken the fibers of the wood you may get it to swell out I think there is more to it than setting a sponge with warm water on it though. Google how to get a dent out of hardwood and see what they have to say. Maybe Dan will chime in, he is a wood expert.

If it hasn't broken the fibers of the wood you may get it to swell out I think there is more to it than setting a sponge with warm water on it though. Google how to get a dent out of hardwood and see what they have to say. Maybe Dan will chime in, he is a wood expert.
10-4 ill google it up and see what I can find. I just have to tread carefully as it's a high gloss finish and don't want to cause more harm if the finish has micro cracks in the compression scuffs. Too hard to tell without some kind of microscope lol. Thanks.

I don't think raising the depression can be done because that would probably mean removal of the finish to apply heat directly to the wood itself via heat 🔥 steam or whatever.
Is the floor damaged all the way over to the fridge or just a few boards?

Last edited:
I don't think raising the depression can be done because that would probably mean removal of the finish to apply heat, steam or whatever.
Is the floor damaged all the way over to the fridge or just a few boards?
When I worked in a furniture store back in the 60's they used to do it on finished furniture, but times have changed as well as the finishes.

One addition that if it only affected a board or two, I'd just live with it an call it character....... but I'd still give the shop a piece of my mind. That should never have happened. They ought to carry forms of floor protection for delivery people and make it mandatory that they use them.
......might ask for a 72" OLED TV instead of a new floor. (Insert huge smiley face)

Yeah definitely don't want to bang up this nice mirror sheen finish any more than whats already happened. Thanks for the info guys

I have seen damage a lot worse. If the floor was refinished yesterday, I might press for getting it fixed. What I see is avoidable 100 percent.
That said....... what is the problem and how much will it bother you down the road. How much is the fight worth?
The flooring in the photos show the planks look to be crowning a bit. Meaning the floor is dryer on the underside of the boards than the lived on side of the wood.
That issue if I am correct might make a repair more difficult.

I have seen damage a lot worse. If the floor was refinished yesterday, I might press for getting it fixed. What I see is avoidable 100 percent.
That said....... what is the problem and how much will it bother you down the road. How much is the fight worth?
The flooring in the photos show the planks look to be crowning a bit. Meaning the floor is dryer on the underside of the boards than the lived on side of the wood.
That issue if I am correct might make a repair more difficult.
Yep you've stated nothing but the honest facts here! Thank you for that. 100% avoidable and I think the battle to maintain is a better battle to choose given that fact that it's always a challenge to remind a busy wife and 3 kids to take care of our stuff as all human induced damage is avoidable so I guess I'll live with this lol.
About the crowning, yes this area is in the kitchen and there's some slight crowning happening in front of the sink and in these pics which is in front of the fridge (ice and water dispenser go figure right). Some people don't understand proper technique for dispensing ice and water 100% into the cup! I had rugs down but removed them because I think the floors were not getting enough benefits from the humidifier due to larger gaps between planks under them rugs!

Rugs might have allowed moisture to be trapped underneath them, especially if the were rubber backed.
Yeah could be. I just figured as they're the prefinished floors with the beveled edges that air would easily flow under the rugs enough between the bevels, I mean logically this makes sense.

Then maybe there's warm air exiting the front of the fridge, causing some shrinkage.
You're on point man!!! Yes the fridge is warm underneath if I step right along to edge of it, side or front, can feel that heat venting out. And the other rug (in front of sink) is right up to a toekick register under the cabinet. Could warm air right up to the floor be contributing to that crowning??

I don't know how that would affect it. One would think the heat would dry the wood out and it would cup, but since the wood is sealed on the top only, that might be possible. ...hmmmmm

I don't know how that would affect it. One would think the heat would dry the wood out and it would cup, but since the wood is sealed on the top only, that might be possible. ...hmmmmm
Yeah interesting to think about. On a side note there has been some over zealous sink activity as well as the same with the water/ice dispensing at the fridge so that didn't help. It's strange to me how a floor like this with such a thick heavy sealed poly finish on top could allow any crowning at all

If you have a wood deck you know has much wood expands an contracts summer to winter. Happens indoors too on a small scale. Your floor is solid wood. It is sealed on one just side.... so, the under side can be free to absorb or lose moisture and the top side cannot because of the finish.
If the underside of the house had no vapor barrier, moisture under the house would migrate up through the floor seeking a warmer and dryer place. In the process, the moisture would go into the underside of the boards and swell the bottom of the boards. You would get a cupped board instead of a crowned board.

Latest posts

Back