Is this much crackling and pops with vinyl tiles too much?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andkon

I had Mannington Adura Rigid Tile installed in my kitchen October 31. I'm still hearing crackling sounds when stepping on the tiles. This isn't normal right? See the video below.

This is probably the best video for hearing the sounds because they happened so frequently in it. However, after being walked on, the crackle is less often than in the video... maybe only every 10-20 steps.

There isn't one step that consistently crackles, though some areas are more likely to.

My fear is that if the installer shows up to inspect it, they'll just dismiss it especially with all the noise during the day.

Any advice?

https://www.mannington.com/resident...rarigid/adurarigid-rectangle-tile/Dune/RRP480

What did they go over is my biggest question?
Concrete, plywood or another flooring?
Who installed it, an actual flooring shop (not a home center)or a friend of a friend..... Or a home center..... yikes?
If they went over an existing floor did that make sounds too?

What did they go over is my biggest question?
Concrete, plywood or another flooring?
Who installed it, an actual flooring shop (not a home center)or a friend of a friend..... Or a home center..... yikes?
If they went over an existing floor did that make sounds too?
Thank you for your response!

The kitchen is second story, so plywood. Here are two pictures:

20221031_120009.jpg
20221031_142225.jpg

You can see in the first picture that there is a "pancake" of quick cement to level the floor that's 1/8" or 1/4" lower than the rest of the kitchen near the bottom. (Same concrete was applied to the range cut out.)

The installer was from a franchisee of Flooring America who owns two locations near me. The owner even came out for the initial measurement.

I don't recall any sounds when I was stepping on the wood during the install. I don't remember any noises before the install when it had (two layers of) glued down cheap linoleum/vinyl sheet.

Some of the shoe mold work was completely unacceptable (I think I could have done a better job with a butter knife lol), but they have since repaired that:

20221111_024524.jpg20221111_025407.jpg

Hard to say what's really going on? Could be many different things. Subfloor deflection, staples/crap under the lvp?

No matter who does an inspection, the only way to really get to the bottom of things is to pull up a section of floor to see exactly what’s going on underneath. Is there debris that got left underneath, staples that didn’t get removed, poor prep, floor is cut too tight…

I did see a shop vac in one of your pictures but I also saw that shitty 1/4 round. Anybody that leaves 1/4 round looking like that is more than likely to have something else that looks like that but you just can’t see it. You can hear it though.

Is this LVP (luxury Vinyl click lock Planks)? If so, that is what I have and I get those annoying clicks, which I believe is from the expansion/contraction of the floor when it is cold and contracts. It is not as noticeable in the summer heat, but now, as it gets very cold on the concrete floor, the sound is noticeable.

Is this LVP (luxury Vinyl click lock Planks)? If so, that is what I have and I get those annoying clicks, which I believe is from the expansion/contraction of the floor when it is cold and contracts. It is not as noticeable in the summer heat, but now, as it gets very cold on the concrete floor, the sound is noticeable.
Yes, it is the click lock luxury vinyl tile (2 x 1). I'm in the Houston area. It's been hitting 80F for the last few days. Highs next week should be in the 50s so we'll see if it gets worse.

Anybody that leaves 1/4 round looking like that is more than likely to have something else that looks like that but you just can’t see it.
Yep, that's my fear as well.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help.

For the record I’ve heard the noise that is made by vapor barrier and you can tell it’s a noise that’s because of the vapor barrier. It’s not a snap, crackle or a pop noise but a stepping on wrinkled up plastic noise. You’ll know it when you hear it.

For the record I’ve heard the noise that is made by vapor barrier and you can tell it’s a noise that’s because of the vapor barrier. It’s not a snap, crackle or a pop noise but a stepping on wrinkled up plastic noise. You’ll know it when you hear it.
Is it something that goes away over time? Does it "iron" itself out by stepping on it?

Latest posts

Back