Is this vinyl laminate plank repairable?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanmagee

20230426_144313.jpg
20230426_144308.jpg

If it were me I would replace the plank.

Use an oscillating tool and cut 2 V shaped cuts from corner to corner on the ends. Then one long cut down the center of the plank. Carefully remove the 4 pieces. Cut the tongues off a new one and glue it in place (to the surrounding planks, not the subfloor). Just take your time and don’t try to Bam Bam it into place. Don’t want to end up repairing more than you have to.

I normally charge $250 to do a repair. After doing so many over the years I can do one in about 15 minutes.

If it were me I would replace the plank.

Use an oscillating tool and cut 2 V shaped cuts from corner to corner on the ends. Then one long cut down the center of the plank. Carefully remove the 4 pieces. Cut the tongues off a new one and glue it in place (to the surrounding planks, not the subfloor). Just take your time and don’t try to Bam Bam it into place. Don’t want to end up repairing more than you have to.

I normally charge $250 to do a repair. After doing so many over the years I can do one in about 15 minutes.
What adhesive do you use? Repairing a plank or replacing a plank is one thing that I've never had the pleasure of doing.

What is the shop brand I'd look for?
I've never found a difference between brands of "Krazy Glue" as far a quality of the bond. I'm fairly sure they are all using the same chemical formula (Methyl 2-Cyanoacrylate). It will be adjustable for viscosity--------liquid or gel. So this choice would depend on your speed of assembly and the size of the joints to be bonded.

Like Tile Tom above we never had issues with Titebond but at the same time if that brand wasn't on the shelf we'd grab anything available. We use super glue/Krazy glue for tons of different applications so I found the gel, liquid and precision applicators useful but you'd have to go case by case for the more or less liquid (viscous) products.

For a lot of garbage repairs (around the house) I've used the cheapo crap from harbor freight. I would certainly not use that in a professional scenario. For your purposes I'd prefer the gel type and immediately load weight on top of 100% to ensure the bond

Titebond will hold LVP together but it’s not a permanent bond, which might not be a bad thing. It’s also not a fast setting product so weight and wait will be necessary until it sets.

Superglue is a one n done adhesive, it’s not coming apart without damaging something. You probably don’t want to use any activator on a plank repair cus you’ll need those extra 8 seconds to get everything positioned correctly.

Super glue is quick n easy but rather unforgiving if you don’t have everything just right before it kicks off. Probably not a bad idea to play around with a couple test pieces in the garage before you jump right into practicing on grandmas floor.

I’ve never used it but super glue deactivator is basically just acetone. Might be a handy tidbit of info if you ever need it.

Latest posts

Back