Is "weeping" the same as hydrostatic pressure

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutbum

Hi,
Wondering if you could propose a hypothesis. I have a below grade slab in 1984 built colonial. Never, ever had standing water on floor or any type of water. There is a sump basin in corner that rises and falls due to melting snow, etc., never had a need to pump. Did see some efflorescence here and there at junction of walls and floor, but again no actual water. I refinished part of the basement and put vinyl plank down over the concrete. The concrete had some old paint from previous owner and I scraped all loose and flaking prior to laying floor. The specs on floor said NOT to put down a vapor barrier or 6 mil sheet etc. Install was done in summer and a few months ago, I noticed water coming through the gaps/cracks in the vinyl floor in different areas so I know that the water vapor that must of evaporated in the past is now getting trapped. I’m planning on pulling up the vinyl, letting it dry an then reinstall but I need to address the water. Some ideas are to concrete sand the paint, etch, then use something like Xypex, RedGuard, HydroBan, etc., then put DMX Airflow before installing the vinyl. Main question is whether the water getting trapped is due to hydrostatic pressure or weeping. Not sure I understand the difference and some of the waterproofing products are specific as to yes or no for hydrostatic. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time

Latest posts

Back