Issues with refinishing job

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chnj

Hi,
I was lurking around this forum prior to having my hardwood floors refinished and got some good information, but now I've had my floors done and have some issues with the work that was done by a professional. The company spent just over a day to sand and prep, applied 1 coat of stain, let this dry approx 18 hours, then applied 3 coats of water-based poly, approx 2 hours between coats. I also noticed they seemed to apply a lot of filler/putty in many areas and buffed it in.

Much of the job were bedrooms which I could not access while they were working, but I kept an eye on the work in the living room. I think they applied the stain with some sort of rag and I saw they went across the room with the grain at least although I couldn't watch the entire job. The poly was applied by pouring from a watering type can and spreading with a t-bar applicator. The company has been in business for many years, came with good references and appeared to me they knew what they were doing.

I have a few issues and have attached pics. Some pics were taken with flash on,some with flash off which is why the variation in color between some pics.
1) There are some streaks in various places on the floor. Is this normal and can it be fixed?
2) There seem to be lap marks, mostly just in 1 bedroom. Or maybe they're not lap marks but the floor itself?
3) Shallow gouges in one area of the hall near the wall. Are these from the sander?
4) I noticed some roughness in the floor along some of the baseboard, like perhaps they didn't sand completely? Or is that a poor job with finishing?

The oak floors are about 50 years old and in some areas were very worn almost through the finish, so while they do not seem to have been abused, they were not well cared for.

I've asked the company to call and come by to discuss these issues but I also wanted to get some independent opinions about the work so any opinions/advice is welcome.

On a side note, they were sloppy with the stain application and got quite a bit of stain on the newly painted baseboards in one room (I know, I should have painted after!) as well as spots on the walls and a couple doors. The company owner agreed to compensate me (via a small refund) for that work, but seems to be avoiding me on addressing the other issues.

Thanks for reading!

Issue number

streaks1.jpg

streaks2.jpg

Lapmarks1.jpg

lapmarks2.jpg

gouges.jpg

It needs to be resanded . Would not except anything less .
If need be have a NWFA Flooring inspector come out and take them to court .

:eek:

Nick is the expert but I can tell you THAT isn't what you paid for.

Basically that's not even good enough for someone who done it themselves. I could do WAY better and I never actually start to finish did a sand and refinish hardwood job.

Doesn't mean I can't be the Project Manager on a quarter million dollar commercial job though........right?

Last edited:
Looks good In.

Thanks, it's pretty nice work as far as I can tell. This guy works for a subcontractor that the shop I work for hired from out of state. He's done about a THOUSAND or so gyms like this.............I'm there to "supervise" him.
Actually I'm QC so I have to read the specs, ask questions and write reports every day. I guess I'm learning as I go along. One thing I already knew from having the QC guys grilling me about the specs for 30 years-------not much in the "text blook" makes sense. It's a lot of N/A.

You're welcome. I would at least tell him you are going to have a indepenent NWFA inspector come out first and see what his reply is .

If not we have some good ones on this site , depending on where you are at .
Good Luck.

You're welcome. I would at least tell him you are going to have a indepenent NWFA inspector come out first and see what his reply is .

If not we have some good ones on this site , depending on where you are at .
Good Luck.

They are actually from your state, Nick.

Well no sand job is ever perfect. What was on the floors before your contractor ever started?! How about some before & after pics?! What brand of stain & finish did u pick out? I've been sanding & finishing floors for 20 years & have seen way worse than this. Where are u located? Hopefully your contractor will take care of this for u!!

Latest posts

Back