I've been asked to look at a glued LVT plank with a hump in it

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive seen ply and vinyl installed over heat registers.

I did that once in a three room pull through to a powder room.:D

Lady called the builder three months into the Winter and told him the powder room was always cold .:D

I have left carpet covering a register a few times.

I have left carpet covering a register a few times.
One time in 1995, 112 miles out of town, that happened. I was new to the trade and working with Gramps..
I recall Gramps asking my brother and myself if there was a vent in the room.................. Heck, it had a fancy electric fireplace on the wall in that room........... so why a vent too?
On Monday when Gramps went to get his check from the mobile home place, he was told we forgot to cut out the vent.:eek:
Lady said the carpet was "floating" the next morning. :D
I recall those mobile home heating system fans could blow the paint off baked enamel cookware.
The mobile home guys were down at that job for a few days more and they cut out the vent hole. Never would happen close to town. :rolleyes:

I would be a bit cagey about cutting a area of underlay out as it could lead to more trouble trying to get all the cut edges smooth in a small area
Maybe just one cut in the middle so the underlayment lays flat again?

A light bulb came on yesterday Jon........... to keep the adhesive uncontaminated, I think I will cut down through the existing LVT and the 1/4" plywood, then vacuum up the mess. Once the floor is squeeky clean, I can remove the strips of flooring, staple the underlayment better, then drop the new planks in place.
Using a thin kerf saw blade, no need to fill the narrow slot that I cut.
I ordered a can of that spray adhesive in case the existing adhesive has lost some of it's 'tackyness' I suppose I can mask off the existing tiles then very lightly, 'dust' the floor with a quick spray of adhesive. The adhesive goes on extremely thin.

Last edited:
I would still go with lifting the smallest number of planks as I could then trying screw, staples, or even nails to see if the bubble would go down before even looking at cutting it
I would just use a thin layer of an acrylic type glue Do not have any of that spray stuff

I would still go with lifting the smallest number of planks as I could then trying screw, staples, or even nails to see if the bubble would go down before even looking at cutting it
I would just use a thin layer of an acrylic type glue Do not have any of that spray stuff
I'm not gonna mix adhesives Jon. This is a 'releasable' adhesive. I pulled out 1/2 of a plank and it seemed to lay and re-stick just fine.
You have to stand on this narrow plywood hump to get it to move or flex downward. It feels like there's a lot of pressure. If I nailer, stapled or screwed it down without a relief cut, it might force up another spot later.
This LVT is stiff as a sheet of 1/8 inch hardboard. It's thick and heating or warming it with a hair dryer doesn't really make it much more flexible or pliable. I bet I could easily cut a 1/4" wide groove in the floor and there would never be a problem even with not filing it. My narrow kerf saw blade is well under 1/8" wide................ much closer to 1/16" wide. By the time the board is re stapled, the gap will close slightly, I'm sure.
I agree, the fewer planks the better. I'm guessing two strips in length and one on each side of those might be enough.

Last edited:
Ended up removing just 3 planks after checking more closely for fasteners with my magnets. I ran one saw kerf 4 feet long through the middle of the high spot.
Between the width of two 6 inch wide planks (12 inches) there were no fasteners where the plywood was buckled up. Fasteners near the edge planks that I left in place had fasteners 6 to 8 inches apart. My bet is the entire floor has less than 1/2 the fasteners that were needed. I told the fella that oversaw the project how to go about fastening the panels, with emphasis when fastening to OSB. I told him run a row of staples down the center of each sheet, both in length then in width, then from the center out, do each quadrant and seams last. I told him that its harder to forget or miss staples if you do one quarter of a panel at a time. That said, his workers might forget an entire quarter panel at a time. :D

Latest posts

Back