Jokes

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And God Bless America

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 15-24-48 e67pgwwpozz91.jpg (JPEG Image 3024 × 4032 pixels) — Scaled (...png
    Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 15-24-48 e67pgwwpozz91.jpg (JPEG Image 3024 × 4032 pixels) — Scaled (...png
    634 KB · Views: 0
I do agree, God bless America. When we can hardly compete, going on strike doesn't always end up so we'll. Our paper mill went on strike for months. Part of it was reducing their 100% paid medical to 60%
....booo hooo 😭
In Portland Oregon, longshore workers screwed themselvesout of a job. It also took hundreds or thousands of accompanying local jobs with it, plus untold hundreds of millions of port revenue.
Shipping companies are HUGE.
They got tired of the sniveling and moved 100% of their contracts north to Seattle, flipping the bird all the way back to the Pacific with a huge grin on their faces.
Longshoreman are one of the highest paying union jobs out there, but they just needed more...... more more more!
....more unemployment and more retirement is what they got for sniveling. Teachers unions hold your children's education hostage, using money as ransom.
Looking though a school parking lot, I see Volvos and Lexus and BMWs. No beaters in the lot. A large percent of the teachers are married to other teachers so it's not like they're starving, they have a nice job and summers off..... Yet they strike or threaten to.
I'm sure there's a lot of good unions out there but the only ones that I've heard about tend to make me grind my teeth. I'm speaking from my local knowledge of unions not everywhere.
I recall a picture on the front page of our newspaper and the so-called scabs that were educating our children while the teachers held ticket signs for weeks and weeks. The photo showed a school bus with one of the PE coaches hanging off the driver side mirror as it drove away. 😞. Teacher don't picket until school starts.
My personal knowledge of local events has soured my view of unions.

Last edited:
Teacher don't picket until school starts.

You think a teacher strike during the summer would be more effective? Me neither.

Looking though a school parking lot, I see Volvos and Lexus and BMWs. No beaters in the lot. A large percent of the teachers are married to other teachers so it's not like they're starving, they have a nice job and summers off..... Yet they strike or threaten to.

So if you drive a ‘nice’ car then you must be rich? I know plenty of people that drive nicer vehicles than I do and they’re not rich. Having been married to a teacher I can tell you for certain that teachers aren’t getting paid that much. If you’re married to another teacher then you’re just a couple where neither one of you makes that much. Certainly not enough for putting up with someone’s crappy kid, or 30 of them at a time. What? Your kids not crappy. Great, now there’s only 29 crappy kids for them to deal with. The only thing teachers have going for them is they USUALLY have decent insurance. Not always, but usually. Then you gotta factor PERS into the equation. They’ve been trying to kill that for years. What now. You already don’t get paid that well and you never know if your retirement will disappear one day years down the road after you’ve already put in your time. I’d strike too, just not during the summer.

You think a teacher strike during the summer would be more effective? Me neither.

So if you drive a ‘nice’ car then you must be rich? I know plenty of people that drive nicer vehicles than I do and they’re not rich. Having been married to a teacher I can tell you for certain that teachers aren’t getting paid that much. If you’re married to another teacher then you’re just a couple where neither one of you makes that much. Certainly not enough for putting up with someone’s crappy kid, or 30 of them at a time. What? Your kids not crappy. Great, now there’s only 29 crappy kids for them to deal with. The only thing teachers have going for them is they USUALLY have decent insurance. Not always, but usually. Then you gotta factor PERS into the equation. They’ve been trying to kill that for years. What now. You already don’t get paid that well and you never know if your retirement will disappear one day years down the road after you’ve already put in your time. I’d strike too, just not during the summer.

I know plenty of people that have a very nice expensive ride... And that's all they can afford. Lol

People want to LOOK like they walk the walk. No shortage of grown ass men with a nice Mercedes that live in their mom's basement. Vehicle is in Mama's name too.

Carpeted many a nice house that had crap furniture and junk cars.

I worked in the steelworkers union for a while. They struck for 3 weeks. Got a 25 cent raise. Over the 3 years of the new contract, they would not make back what they lost over the 3 weeks. In 1980 I made $25,000 working there. I was happy without the raise. Minimum wage was $2 an hour, I was making $9, plus I was making $18 for weekends.

I've worked for a lot of teachers over the years. They have multiple nice everything. Oregon's PERS was like striking oil.
Mileage in other states may vary.
...may vary greatly.
My metal shop teacher in 1972 was bitching about his takehome pay being only $425 per week.
Oregon probably has one of the best retirement systems in the country. Since the 80's economy was booming endlessly, their contract garnered them a 5 to 8% return on their retirement investments.
That rate was guaranteed even if their portfolio lost 10%
Let's just say, they do pretty well here. I guess I wasn't thinking how other states function.

The booming stock market of the 80’s proved to be profitable for PERS members. Typically, when a guaranteed rate is required as it is for Tier 1 members, amounts earned in excess of the guaranteed rate are used to set up a reserve to offset future periods where earning are less than the guaranteed rate. Instead, the Board, populated at the time by mostly PERS members, credited member accounts with the actual returns on investments rather than the guaranteed rate in effect at the time, sometimes crediting as much as 20% in a single year. PERS employees retiring on money match could retire and earn more in annual benefits than their final salary, with guaranteed payments for life.

Last edited:
I might add, that I would hope a person goes into teaching because they like teaching kids, not because they don't like teaching kids. The income for teaching is hopefully known to a good degree before signing on the dotted line. Summers off is a nice perk, and I bet that's attractive if it fits the lifestyle. That said, who would sign up for a job that was only 9 months of the year. That has to be compensated for or you couldn't find enough people to teach.

I might add, that I would hope a person goes into teaching because they like teaching kids, not because they don't like teaching kids. The income for teaching is hopefully known to a good degree before signing on the dotted line. Summers off is a nice perk, and I bet that's attractive if it fits the lifestyle. That said, who would sign up for a job that was only 9 months of the year. That has to be compensated for or you couldn't find enough people to teach.
Most teachers have to take college classes every summer. My daughter has her teaching certificate but can't afford to teach. When she got it she was managing a Burger king and would have taken a pay cut to teach. She is working home health care now and working toward being an NPR.

I’m all for bagging on people but teachers aren’t the ones to be bagged on, they’re working stiffs just like you and I.

Nobody goes into teaching thinking they’re going to get rich. Parts of their employment package, health care and retirement, can be pretty sweet but unless you’re factoring in the entire package, salary, working conditions and hours worked, you’re not getting the entire picture of how well teachers are really being compensated for what they do.

The pay is low and the hours are long. A teacher’s day doesn’t begin and end only during the school hours that kids are there just like your day doesn’t begin and end only during the time you’re parked in the customer’s driveway.

A lot of teachers pay for school supplies themselves because of budget constraints. I would help my wife set up her classroom before the school year started, we paid for that ourselves. Then there’s the time it takes to grade papers, parent teacher conferences, personal education maintenance requirements. My wife was practically a zombie 9 months of the year.

Then when she finally made it to the summer she would either teach summer school or clean houses cus we needed the money. Their employment contract is for the school year, 9 months. They don’t get paid for sitting on their asses during the summer. Every piece worker out there should understand that. My wife did have the option of spreading out her 9 months of pay over the entire year. That’s just a smaller check for a longer period of time, she’s not making any more money. In fact I’ve been waiting 15 years now for my wife to become my sugar mama and it’s just not happening. She does bring a nice insurance and retirement package to the table which is nice because I, despite making good money, don’t have any of that offered to me as part of my self employment package. Every piece worker out there should understand that as well.

My gummies kicked in so here’s a little MSLIcology for ya😁, rather than it be a they or them vs us thing, it’s a we thing. WE all are just working stiffs trying to make a living. Some people make good money and some people get good benefits. If you’re lucky, or smart, you’ll have both and some people have neither. When we start getting pissed because we perceive someone else to have it better than us we're no different than crabs in a bucket. When one crab is about to escape another crab from below pulls him back down into the mix and everybody gets cooked in the end.

Local teachers only make about $12 an hour. Then there are all the hours they don't get paid for, grading papers, conference etc. Local cops only get $16.69 an hour. So no one here is getting rich. 10 years ago, I had some 40 yd 1 br apts. that I would knock out in 90 minutes for $160. Now that would pay $240. So you can understand why there is a teacher and cop shortage. If I felt a little better, I could go sub every day at any of the schools in the area. They don't want anyone with a B.A., they have to pay them more. ( I need one class for mine) I would make about $90 a day. Absenteeism among teachers runs 30-40%.

My mistake for thinking everyone teaching lives in Oregon. That's all I know and I'm sticking to it. Teacher should be paid well I don't have issues with that. To be honest, I didn't know teachers elsewhere we're so low on the totem pole.

Nobody goes into teaching thinking they’re going to get rich.

It varies from district to district but on Long Island a teacher’s average base salary is $111,042.00… Nearly twice the National average…That’s with only a couple of years in.. Some make a lot more… Don’t see any strikes around here.

Latest posts

Back