Kids in the business

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Do you want your kids to get in this business, or do you hope they find something else.?
My oldest son tried it, he now owns a tobacco/liquor shop. The next one has a PHD in plant science and teaches at Berkeley, My youngest son is autistic. I raised two stepsons, the oldest lost his eyesight, the other one works fast food. I have two daughters, the older one married a farmer and the younger one is a loan officer at a bank.
The only one that spent much time in the business is my stepson who is blind. They are probably all better off than they would have been as installers.

My son didn't want any part of it, is a trucker in Ca. My stepson is in the business, I taught him and is doing better than I ever did. He is union in the Detroit area.
My daughter also worked with me for a while but that didn't work out. Men on jobs wouldn't leave her alone.

Daris

No I would never. Luckily my kids are geeky smart azzes. I took them out on hard jobs so they would see the potential for pain and suffering. They dont like it. lol Oldest of two sons finished his masters in government admin, and double polysci major. Youngest is freshman in college and already has enough credits to make him a sophomore, he is intending to go into neuroscience.

I worked with both my sons enough so that they know that they CAN come work here if they want. But they really don't want to do anything like this when there are so many better jobs out there.

It's really about opportunities. If a young man is able to go to school and make something better for himself he should give that a shot. But for the many who aren't geared toward academics or running their own business ANY trade is a respectable choice. Ours is more physically demanding and outright dirty than most-----but not all.

The pay is too low and I don't see that trend changing. I realize that an elite installer working for himself with a helper or two can still command very high prices. But that's 1-2 guys out of a hundred across the country.

Those are the exceptions that PROVE the rule.

I made a lot more than the average worker around here, but an installer's expenses and taxes are so high, I couldn't save much. And I am paying for it physically. Most retired installers, at the very least, limp. (if they can still walk)

I have days I can work and days that I have to walk with a cane.

I got into installations by accident. I painted signs in high school, after the service I became a Toyota certified mechanic. Then a welder in a combine plant. When it folded a friend asked if I would help him and the installer he was working for do some carpet take up. The installer hired me full time and I have been at it since. Wish I would have gone to college and done something else.

I got into installations by accident. I painted signs in high school, after the service I became a Toyota certified mechanic. Then a welder in a combine plant. When it folded a friend asked if I would help him and the installer he was working for do some carpet take up. The installer hired me full time and I have been at it since. Wish I would have gone to college and done something else.

I never used my GI bill for school either, kicked myself in the bungus for that. Only thing is if I was to go today I don't know what I would take up, other than girl watching. That is a class isn't it??

Daris

I am taking some classes next semester. Photography for one. But at this age, it's just something to do. A Pell grant will pay for them and the local college gives anyone over 60, one free class.

I never used my GI bill for school either, kicked myself in the bungus for that. Only thing is if I was to go today I don't know what I would take up, other than girl watching. That is a class isn't it??

Daris
You'd have to move to California to find a college that class. It may be a required one. :D
I am taking some classes next semester. Photography for one. But at this age, it's just something to do. A Pell grant will pay for them and the local college gives anyone over 60, one free class.
I took a beginning class once a looong time ago, but that was back in the easy days of film. 4 of the people didn't know how to install batteries in their cameras. It was a beginning class. It taught the very basics, but that's really where most people will benefit. From their, you spread your wings and break all the rules you were taught. .....just like the flooring trade. :D

Last edited: