kitchen floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

My SO is going to replace my kitchen floor this coming weekend. I have NO CLUE as to what to put down.

The floor is over a basement and is sub flooring. What is down right now is sheet vinyl that has come up at the seams and is chipped off badly over the last couple years so some sub flooring is exposed.

It is currently hot and humid here and I really don't have air conditioning. I do have a window unit but it doesn't 'do the job' and I rarely turn it on.

My SO thinks peel and stick squares is the way to go since he only has about 3 days to get the project done. Will peel and stick vinyl work in this situation? What brand name do you suggest? What tools and supplies would I need to buy for this project? Does the floor need some sort of prep? Can this project be done if it's humid out?

I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Peel and stick won't last long. They tend to shrink and don't stick very well.

I had peel and stick installed in my bathroom several years ago. It seems to be holding up. What would you suggest for the kitchen, then?

Peel and stick squares is very 80's. I'd recommend a snap together vinyl plank flooring. It goes down quick and easily, and all you need to use to cut it is a razor blade.

Is it DIY friendly? Balota will be doing this project alone while I'm at work.

My God. Is that your leg in your avatar? :eek:

There is always Flexitec sheet vinyl. Very DIY friendly. Either way, you need to cut back the vinyl seams where they are peaked and fill smooth with a cementious based floor filler.

Is it DIY friendly? Balota will be doing this project alone while I'm at work.

My God. Is that your leg in your avatar? :eek:

I installed it in two bathrooms, a kitchen and front porch in just a few days. Very quick and easy.

Yes, that is my leg, but it now has a 6" surgical scar on the knee cap. Also, that foot in the pic is my ex-wife's. She took a mile and only left me a foot!

There is always Flexitec sheet vinyl. Very DIY friendly. Either way, you need to cut back the vinyl seams where they are peaked and fill smooth with a cementious based floor filler.

The old vinyl will be torn up. So it's not necessary to smooth anything, right?

I installed it in two bathrooms, a kitchen and front porch in just a few days. Very quick and easy.

Yes, that is my leg, but it now has a 6" surgical scar on the knee cap. Also, that foot in the pic is my ex-wife's. She took a mile and only left me a foot!

At least her foot wasn't up your..oh, never mind. :cool:

Snap together sounds easy. A few questions.
1. Is adhesive used to hold it to the subfloor?
2. One post suggests just trimming edges of existing flooring and gluing edges well. How level does the old floor need to be to avoid soft spots?
3. Should I pull edge moulding out along the floor and replace with new moulding to finish edges? Same moulding? Simple quarter round?
4. Is any surface finish required to seal it?

2. One post suggests just trimming edges of existing flooring and gluing edges well. How level does the old floor need to be to avoid soft spots?
3. Should I pull edge moulding out along the floor and replace with new moulding to finish edges? Same moulding? Simple quarter round?

ANSWERS

1) Nope, I just slapped it on top of the existing flooring.
2) If your previous flooring is still in good shape, no cutting is necessary.
3) Yes, remove edge moulding, lay floor, re-install edge moulding.
4) The flooring I used doesn't require a sealer.

For more information, take a look at my old thread here.

http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/f13/installing-vinyl-plank-click-lock-flooring-2467/

The existing vinyl is half gone as it is. There is a very large area of the curent floor that is gone. I don't think it would be possible to put a new floor over the existing floor since it is in such poor shape.

The edge moulding is long gone. I took it off years ago when painting and never replaced it. A project never finished. Do I remind you of anyone? :(
It would be wonderful to put new moulding on.

Hey! Quit looking at other guys legs! :D;)

Well, then, post a picture of your leg. :D

I was going to buy the flooring before Balota got here but I think we'll go to the home store together the morning he gets here. I'm not sure what we'll end up getting. We'll just ask a million questions and come to some decision.

It came out pretty good. Took half of forever to get the first few rows started. Once I got past that thongs went a lot more smoothly.

Note(s) to self: :eek::D
1. Don't ever do that again.
2. If you do, get a set of kneepads.

Balota did a BEAUTIFUL job on my kitchen floor. I am crazy excited. It is wonderful. I will post pictures. It made a world of difference in the looks of my kitchen.

Latest posts

Back