Knees and hips

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
How many of you have issues with knees, hips, or both? I retired because of a bad hip. Now my knees bother me more than my hips. I knew that over 40 years on the floor would mess up stuff, but it is still hard to handle.

Miniscus is torn in 3 places and never fully healed after 18+ months. I walk with a limp. These types of injuries can heal but frequently dont depending on where the tears are.
Pretty severe osteoarthritis in the knee, shoulder, hands and whatnot
This factor causes and aggravates:
Water on the knee-----comes and goes
Baker's Cyst.
Sprained ligaments around the knee joints that just aren't healing.

I think it was the off time during Covid that wound up crippling me. At 60 I still had the strength and endurance to perform at a competitive level. So long as the "juices were flowing" I was JUST routinely sore and tired after a good days work. In fact the more I worked the healthier and stronger I felt. Because we shut down the economy and I was many weeks and months without my normal physical activity when I came back after such long breaks frankly I just couldn't do it.

Now I have to force myself to be active walking, swimming and bike riding. I can also get some exercise as a "Superintendent" if I feel like doing the casual labor, helping out subcontractors, cleaning, delivering and doing odds and ends. There's generally plenty to do. I'm not disabled............excepting I can't kneel or bend the left knee excessively. July 1rst I get my first union pension check. I plan to change careers to work LIGHT AND LOCAL. Let's see how that pans out.

Miniscus is torn in 3 places and never fully healed after 18+ months. I walk with a limp. These types of injuries can heal but frequently dont depending on where the tears are.
Pretty severe osteoarthritis in the knee, shoulder, hands and whatnot
This factor causes and aggravates:
Water on the knee-----comes and goes
Baker's Cyst.
Sprained ligaments around the knee joints that just aren't healing.

I think it was the off time during Covid that wound up crippling me. At 60 I still had the strength and endurance to perform at a competitive level. So long as the "juices were flowing" I was JUST routinely sore and tired after a good days work. In fact the more I worked the healthier and stronger I felt. Because we shut down the economy and I was many weeks and months without my normal physical activity when I came back after such long breaks frankly I just couldn't do it.

Now I have to force myself to be active walking, swimming and bike riding. I can also get some exercise as a "Superintendent" if I feel like doing the casual labor, helping out subcontractors, cleaning, delivering and doing odds and ends. There's generally plenty to do. I'm not disabled............excepting I can't kneel or bend the left knee excessively. July 1rst I get my first union pension check. I plan to change careers to work LIGHT AND LOCAL. Let's see how that pans out.
Tore something in my left knee, 30 years ago. Never could afford to take the time off to get it fixed. I can still get up and down ok, But stairs are tough. I have to have a handrail. My left knee has been swollen all these years. Recently started wearing the slip-on knee braces, they help a lot.

Tore something in my left knee, 30 years ago. Never could afford to take the time off to get it fixed. I can still get up and down ok, But stairs are tough. I have to have a handrail. My left knee has been swollen all these years. Recently started wearing the slip-on knee braces, they help a lot
Still trying to get a knee brace system that doesn't fall right down to my thigh. I guess I need to spend some money. I'm gonna need some cortisone shots as well. I already know that deal. The longer you can delay the shots and minimize them-----suffer------the better off you are in the long term.

Yes you have to keep moving
I dont know if the trouble I am having with wobbly legs is from the chemo, just sitting around all day especially if sitting on the sofa with my feet on the coffee table so that the cat can have a good sleep on my legs

My knee and hip pain has reached a new level 😡 who has experience using arthritis cream, good, bad ?.... I blew off my ex ray referral last year, but I guess maybe I should see the doc and get them done. Hey ! If you’re a young installer, do your body a solid and START using the power stretcher And never look back. The kicker is the positioning tool only.

My knee and hip pain has reached a new level 😡 who has experience using arthritis cream, good, bad ?.... I blew off my ex ray referral last year, but I guess maybe I should see the doc and get them done. Hey ! If you’re a young installer, do your body a solid and START using the power stretcher And never look back. The kicker is the positioning tool only.
If you can get a prescription, Diclofenac 3% cream is great. You can get the 1% without a scrip.

One of my wife's meds and one of mine the insurance won't cover. Our doctor said try his pharmacy. Hers dropped from $200 for 3 months to .18 cents for 3 months. Mine dropped from $45 a month to $16 a month.

I was bone-on-bone in my right knee for several years and finally had to have a total replacement at 44. The day it was done I couldn't believe that the pain was finally gone. I can't work down on my knees but if I wear Pro-Knees or the Traxx knock offs I can get down to do an inspection if I have to. The weirdest part is getting used to the prosthetic kneecap when I'm kneeling. It wanders around and feels weird. Doesn't really hurt, but not a nice feeling at all. No problems with my hips and I've had no problem with my left knee at all.

Prior to the replacement they had to exhaust all possible treatments. I ended up having two knee scopes to remove floaters, multiple different NSAID's, dozens of Cortisone shots in the knee, and even some type of patch that was made from some poisonous fish that only lived off the coast of Japan. The things were $500.00 per box of 10 patches and I had to change it every two days. I couldn't believe my insurance covered them, but they did.

I was a baseball catcher for several years and played line for football in school, so I was constantly abusing them before I was ever even involved with flooring. The flooring just finished the right one off.

Now I can take my daily Aleve and I'm pretty good. I get a little stiff in the joints if a big storm comes in but other than that I'm generally ok.

This thing with my neck has been a bit nuts to go through. It came out of nowhere. I'm not certain that knowing what I have been through the last 8 months I'd have done the same thing. The neck pain that was there is gone but now I"m having all sorts of issues with weird nerve issues in my arms, legs, feet and hands. Found a few weeks ago that one of the tests they did showed something called Radiculopathy, which sounds like a Harry Potter spell. Apparently, it's where some of the nerves coming out of the spine / vertebrae become pinched and it causes all sorts of weird problems. I have intermittent numbness, burning, pins & needles, weird tics, and occasional mild to moderate pain. It also seems to be taking forever to get the strength back in my neck and shoulders. It's getting better but man is it slow.

It's hell getting old.

Last edited:
Mostly see a chiropractor to get my back and wrists adjusted right. Had the flu 3 weeks ago, haven't had that in 30 years.
I injured my back in the middle of a Wilton carpet repair last week. Put myself in an awkward position while latexing along a fire place edge. Thank God for Juan the carpenter, I talked him through the tucking method and re- setting a few yarn pulls along the seam. I almost didn’t make it to the truck. At one point I had to piss real bad, pushing through the pain, I hobbled into this miniature powder room tucked under the staircase ( prob. Circa 1800 stone house) wipped it out 😳 and smashed my head on the slopped ceiling 🥴 but once this piss came all was good for a min or two 🤣

Anyone try shiotzu massage therapy?

I hope the next flu comes at the same 30 year interval. Glad your feeling better k, Hey any of your boys old enough to work with you yet ?

They have their own jobs not in carpet. One is doing concrete and the other is doing helical piers and deployed with the army right now. Neither one wanted anything to do with flooring.

They have their own jobs not in carpet. One is doing concrete and the other is doing helical piers and deployed with the army right now. Neither one wanted anything to do with flooring.
I had the same thing happen. My oldest boy and both my stepsons tried flooring. Wasn't for them. The older stepson was a natural, but he just did not like it.

I injured my back in the middle of a Wilton carpet repair last week. Put myself in an awkward position while latexing along a fire place edge. Thank God for Juan the carpenter, I talked him through the tucking method and re- setting a few yarn pulls along the seam. I almost didn’t make it to the truck. At one point I had to piss real bad, pushing through the pain, I hobbled into this miniature powder room tucked under the staircase ( prob. Circa 1800 stone house) wipped it out 😳 and smashed my head on the slopped ceiling 🥴 but once this piss came all was good for a min or two 🤣

Anyone try shiotzu massage therapy?

I hope the next flu comes at the same 30 year interval. Glad your feeling better k, Hey any of your boys old enough to work with you yet ?
That story's a REAL pisser. 😁
So now he's Juan the carpeter?
Sorry bout the back. Gotta stop and rethink. If I have a tool behind me, I don't twist around and reach to grab it anymore. When you know your back is getting old and hurtin, you gotta think and move differently. Heal up buddy.

Finally found a flexible knee brace that stays up and works good. I can walk without pain. From Amazon.

knee brace.PNG

Latest posts

Back