Laminate adhesive

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furnace Tape

I would like to put a light adhesive on a laminate or fake wood floor. Yes I know you don't do that but this is for a 4" strip of laminate I ripped for a wall moulding or baseboard. It won't take much to attach it because I have a cap trim to hold the top anyway. The surface is unfinished sheet rock. If you could give me the brand name of a light glue or adhesive that comes in smaller quantities I would be much appreciated. Rusty please see my other post.

Thanks very much
Will from Nevada

What is the back side of the laminate made of? Cork, or vinyl? Is the back of it shiny or possibly something that will accept the adhesive? Is 4' all you are doing or will there be a lot of it?

Locktite makes an adhesive called Power Grab construction adhesive. It says for molding and paneling. I'd bet something like that would work. I doubt you'd need more than two 1/4 inch thick beads per plank. Each bead about 3/4 of an inch away from the top and bottom edges of the strip.
It comes in a 9 ounce caulking tube. Might be able to get it in a squeeze tube.

OK, The pieces are all 4 inches wide and some as long as 8 feet. I don't know what the backing is. It's just padded you know, not cork, not vinyl, It's soft thin white colored padding about 1/4" I'd say.
I'd like to use a tape if possible. What about that 2 sided stuff that's recommended for IVC Flexitec vinyl flooring? Would that rip the heck out of the sheet rock though, I don't know.

Wal Mart carries a double faced tape made by Duck. It comes in smaller rolls and is about an inch wide. It's a fabric reinforced tape. In our store it's hanging on a rack along with the other smaller rolls of tape. The releasable part of the tape is a pale blue color. The tape doesn't have much in the way of recommended uses. I find that it sticks to IVC type vinyl's very well. It's a bit on the thick side for vinyl flooring, but it appears to me as an acrylic tape.
If you see a double faced tape that says "vinyl carpet tape" don't bother.
If those planks are stiff enough, consider using a brad nailer. Tape or glue isn't going to be friendly to the sheetrock.

I tried to find it but couldn't. If you try some, stick a foot or so onto a section of plank and onto some plywood or some other surface and let it set for a day. Pull em apart and that will probably tell you what you need to know.

I tried to find it but couldn't. If you try some, stick a foot or so onto a section of plank and onto some plywood or some other surface and let it set for a day. Pull em apart and that will probably tell you what you need to know.
Good Idea, thanks.

...or a brad nailer or small finish nails or long brads. Won't know till ya try them. ;)
I did what you are doing with with a product called Drop and Done. It has no tongue or groove.
I was able to miter the outside corners using my table saw. The mitered corners I made were seamless. Meaning that the material flowed around the corner in one piece. I made the miter cut by cutting 90% to 95%through the material from the back side using my table saw then bending it as a person would do with rubber cove base. Make the miter first, then make the dimensional cuts for length. Turned out sweet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back