Laminate Brand and Direction

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasta1234

Hello All,

I am thinking of replacing my aging carpet in my condo with some laminate.

I have narrowed it down to a few types, namely Armstrong and Aquaguard models/designs from floor and decor. Do you guys have any comments regarding the qualities/brands ? I cant believe how much the look has changed and improved in the last few years :eek:

One of my dilemmas also is the direction to place the planks. If i start along the longest side "A", I am unsure if that makes sense given the small wall between the living room and dining room. How would that even work ? If i start alongside wall "B" then the planks will be in the incorrect direction given the incoming light from the sliding door.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Image.jpg

I'd go sliding door towards wall B. (left/to right) Dining room will have a table to make the direction irrelevant.
I might start along wall C and kitchen tile so you start with close to a full plank along the tile. That will be a focal point. Laundry door tile and wall C are least important visually.
What are the room dimensions?

What Highup said. When your in the room I bet you will be looking or walking right to left. It will look better.

Thanks for responses guys, here are some dimensions..

It looks like I'm looking at approximately 450 square feet.

Pete

IMG_20180302_123124.jpg

Go with Quickstep. Best locking mechanism (UNICLIC). I don't like floor and Decor stuff at all, or any of their underlayment.

Considering the measured layout I posted above, I'm very conflicted as to the corner I would start in.

If I start at the top I am left with many doorways at the bottom which I assume are more difficult to end at.

Also, I neglected to show a step at the bottom of the drawing along the 14ft edge.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

IMG_20180309_205359.jpg

Last edited:
Does the carpet go under that step? If so I would demo the carpet on it and box it in, then cover it with laminate. Looks like your going to have to go backwards at some point. I'd start along wall C at the entrance which looks like the focal point to me.

Last edited:
Sorry about the picture/shadows not making it clear. The stair is a solid box but the angles and thickness of the carpet make it difficult to see from the side..

The reason i posted that picture was to show that while it makes some sense to start at the front door (also seen at the right of the pic) it doesn't give a long straight starting path. That being said i am unsure if that still makes it the right place to start ?

Thanks,
Pete

Latest posts

Back