Laminate faded at seams

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6682daniel

Hi everyone,
I’m in the process of installing Pergo Outlast laminate flooring. After installing a few rows, I started to notice that the laminate has a slight fade at the seams. Is it supposed to look like this? This is my first time doing the install so I’m not sure what it should look like. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 114E8D45-0F79-4BE3-9CBD-23EF5D35229C.jpeg
    114E8D45-0F79-4BE3-9CBD-23EF5D35229C.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 08738FDE-0ED4-4691-B1AE-A78C4C93461B.jpeg
    08738FDE-0ED4-4691-B1AE-A78C4C93461B.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 229
You're just talking the end joints. It doesn't look right to me and almost looks like abrasion of some sort. Bought from a local retailer?

I agree you should quit installing and contact home Depot. In addition contact the manufacturer of the product and ask them how to proceed fixing the problem. It does look like there's a problem and it should be fixed.

I'm doing some stairs tomorrow and I think they have the same material. I'm thinking it's supposed to be there, but you either didn't notice it in the sample piece or they didn't show a view of the planks installed in a room, showing the full effect.

I'm doing some stairs tomorrow and I think they have the same material. I'm thinking it's supposed to be there, but you either didn't notice it in the sample piece or they didn't show a view of the planks installed in a room, showing the full effect.

Yeah, after some research I found out it’s an effect they have. The sample in the store doesn’t show it since it doesn’t have the ends , and neither do most of the pictures. Depending on the angle and lighting you may or may not see the effect .

Thank you for confirming that. I think we jumped the gun on advising you. The job I'll be working at today does have that rustic effect. It looks great in person. Tho it will take longer to install, take the time to test different planks so you can get the best effect on those end joints.
Thanks again for popping back in to let us know.

Well, I was wrong about the floor at the job I visited today. I thought it was same as your floor.
I later realized it was a high end real wood floor.
I mentioned to the homeowner, installing similar wood floor well over 20 years ago, and back then, the cost was $16 sq ft. Way back then.
The homeowner said his floor was custom made for them. He then added that they spent some "crazy money" having this floor custom made. The owner installed it himself and he did it beautifully. He's a perfectionist and also a contractor. It's a small, million dollar beach home, not their primary residence. Really nice people too.

Ok, back to the vinyl laminate you installed....... Yours probably looks almost as nice as his but you probably paid 15 times less money than he did for virtually the same look so you have a very nice floor, but you just got an unexpected surprise on its features. I like what you bought. Rustic to me is 10x better looking than any mundane looking shiney wood floor.
It's a very cool look now that I understand what the product is.
Thanks again for chiming back in. Most people don't.

Last edited:
Well, I was wrong about the floor at the job I visited today. I thought it was same as your floor.
I later realized it was a high end real wood floor.
I mentioned to the homeowner, installing similar wood floor well over 20 years ago, and back then, the cost was $16 sq ft. Way back then.
The homeowner said his floor was custom made for them. He then added that they spent some "crazy money" having this floor custom made. The owner installed it himself and he did it beautifully. He's a perfectionist and also a contractor. It's a small, million dollar beach home, not their primary residence. Really nice people too.

Ok, back to the vinyl laminate you installed....... Yours probably looks almost as nice as his but you probably paid 15 times less money than he did for virtually the same look so you have a very nice floor, but you just got an unexpected surprise on its features. I like what you bought. Rustic to me is 10x better looking than any mundane looking shiney wood floor.
It's a very cool look now that I understand what the product is.
Thanks again for chiming back in. Most people don't.

thanks for that last part about my floor. I admit the lighting on the pictures was unflattering to say the least. you can see the difference lighting does on this other picture. I’m really digging this new floor. Since I’m installing it myself, I spent overall a little less than 7k for a 2100 sq st area. Not too bad considering I had to buy a lot of the tools as well 😃

Attachments

• 3CA715B6-B927-4CA2-9D7B-AB97C387F265.jpeg
    3CA715B6-B927-4CA2-9D7B-AB97C387F265.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 240
thanks for that last part about my floor. I admit the lighting on the pictures was unflattering to say the least. you can see the difference lighting does on this other picture. I’m really digging this new floor. Since I’m installing it myself, I spent overall a little less than 7k for a 2100 sq st area. Not too bad considering I had to buy a lot of the tools as well 😃
Then you will have the tools if you decide to turn pro.

No better feeling than doing something yourself. In something this size, the first room was a learning experience, and from then forwards, you are a flooring installer. I'll have to look that one up at my retailer today. Very neat looking floor. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. It helps other DIYers when they visit and read your story.

Latest posts

Back