Laminate floor 1" height difference transition

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jones040990

My wife and I are currently replacing carpet in our house we recently purchased with laminate flooring. The oldest portion of the house (pier and beam) is 1" higher than the newest portion (slab). What do I need to do or buy to transition this to make it look right? This is my first time posting to any forum so thanks in advance for any suggestions. image.jpg

I can't tell what's on the side of the picture without carpet. If it's wood I'd level that with layers of plywood underlayment.

A layer of 3/4" subfloor ply with a layer of 1/4" on top of that would be ideal.

If you're doing this work yourself you're going to want to get an air compressor with a staple gun to fasten the ply. If you hire a contractor they will certainly be equipped to do that kind of work.

If that's concrete then you need to pour a self leveling compound to even it out. Underneath the laminate needs to be really FLAT for a decent job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back