Laminate Flooring Replacement on a Cut

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaminateFlooringGuy

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this and I hope this is the right place to post this question? I recently had a leak in my house and had to remove several laminate boards in my kitchen area. My question is how I should go about fixing the affected area. I have several laminate boards on hand to repair, but I am worried about the boards that were cut out to remove the water. Can the boards run directly to the cut in the photo and still be sealed? Or maybe should I try making the floor transition into the next room? I've attached a photo of what I'm dealing with.

Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• laminatefloor.jpg
    laminatefloor.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 77
You'll have to remove all the effected planks whole.
I do this with my oscillating tool VERY CAREFULLY. I cut a "V" on each side connecting the 2 corners. Then straight down the middle connecting the 2 V's. Then carefully remove the plank being cautious not to damage the good planks around it.

After all the junk planks are out you have to carefully cut the tongues off the new ones and glue them in with wood glue.
It's definitely a time taker but achievable for a DIYer.

You'll have to remove all the effected planks whole.
I do this with my oscillating tool VERY CAREFULLY. I cut a "V" on each side connecting the 2 corners. Then straight down the middle connecting the 2 V's. Then carefully remove the plank being cautious not to damage the good planks around it.

After all the junk planks are out you have to carefully cut the tongues off the new ones and glue them in with wood glue.
It's definitely a time taker but achievable for a DIYer.
Thanks a lot for the helpful tip. I'm want to give this technique a try, but I don't have an oscillating tool at the moment. Do you know any household tools that can help with this job?

Skill saw will work but it tends to be a bit more messy so be prepared to clean up some sawdust. It helps if you have someone hold a shop vac next to the blade to help suck up as much sawdust as you can when it comes off the blade.

You can get a cheap one at harbor freight for around $20. Not the best quality but it'll get the job done.... And I guarantee you'll find other uses for it down the road!
Very handy tool to have.

Thanks a lot for the helpful tip. I'm want to give this technique a try, but I don't have an oscillating tool at the moment. Do you know any household tools that can help with this job?
Maybe get as close to the corner as possible with the saw, then drill a line of 1/8" or smaller holes away from the corner, connecting to the saw cut.
A Dremel tool might even help connect the holes. Just go slow and take your time.

Latest posts

Back