Laminate install in area with two different types of flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbobert

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been posted here before (searched and wasn't able to find anything). I'm in the process of buying a new home. It's a new construction that has incredibly overpriced updates. I'm interested in installing laminate floors myself. Trying to do as much research as I can before I start the project.

The area I'm looking to do the install is the kitchen, nook and living room. All of these rooms flow together and are separated by different floor materials. The nook is carpet, the kitchen is vinyl and the living room is carpet.

I know that a floating laminate floor can be installed over vinyl without too much difficulty. If I remove the carpet in the nook and living room, can I smoothly continue the laminate flooring from the kitchen area? I'm concerned about the slight height difference between the kitchen (installed over vinyl) vs the nook/living room which will be installed over the subfloor.

Any thoughts on past experiences or recommendations to level out the height difference if needed is greatly appreciated. :D

floor plan.jpg

Vinyl is not an issue unless it has an underlayment added on top of the subfloor. You have 3/16 in ten feet to play with. If its just a vinyl layer then simply feather it out with a suitable patch.

Remember that a laminate floor is a floating floor and must not be fixed to the sub floor or moldings at any point as this will not allow the floor to expand and contract, as these floors naturally do.

Latest posts

Back