Large transition from hardwood floor to bathroom tile.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake18v

My finished hardwood floor sits 1" above the finished bathroom tile. I picked up a matching threshold strip but that only makes up 9/16" of the difference.

What are my options to get a finished look b/w the tile and the hardwood flooring?

I haven't installed the last strip of hardwood flooring yet. I was just doing a test fit.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 111
Get yourself a solid piece of wood, 2x2 or the like, or a 3x1 or 4x1 or some such thing and cut a wedge out of it. You can flush it to the top the hardwood and then bevel it down to sit on top of the tile. Best to leave about 1/8 of an inch on the wedged end lest it split off. Just square off the end and run a round over bit along it.

Options are endless my friend.

Agree with Mark. Making a transition gives you more options than choosing what you can buy or order. You can make it the size and profile that you want as well as custom stain it to match.

Thinking about it a bit more you could even use a couple pieces of the flooring itself to make a transition piece out of. It would be an exact match to your floor and depending on how you made it you may not even need to touch up any raw edges. It all depends on how handy you are and how much work you want to put into making it.

Thinking about it a bit more you could even use a couple pieces of the flooring itself to make a transition piece out of. It would be an exact match to your floor and depending on how you made it you may not even need to touch up any raw edges. It all depends on how handy you are and how much work you want to put into making it.
How would I go about doing it?

Thanks!!!!

Same way you would make one out of a 1x. Just make sure the finished side is out. Do any cutting and beveling on the back side. I’ve glued pieces together if I need a thicker piece such as for a stair nose. Then if you have to round over or ease any edges you only have to finish the rounded or eased edge. That looks like a solid hardwood? Doesn’t get any better than that.

If I have to round over any edges I blue tape them before I round over the edge. That way the blue tape is right up to the raw wood. Spray poly or spray lacquer is quick and easy.

I made a threshold out of some scrap hardwood flooring by glueing 2 pieces at a 90 degree angle. It fits well, but I see some modifications I'd like to make to a final threshold. The threshold should flare out to door casing. I think the front of the threshold should be cut to the same plane as the door casing as well. See pic. Round over the 2 exposed edges. I need to pick up a round over bit for my router.

I've got a few questions:
1. Should I stain and then poly the raw edges?
2. How do I secure the threshold to the to the tile? Can I use the Bostik wood glue?

Making a transition was a great idea - thanks for the advice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 119
Yes to stain and poly the raw edge. Get some stain and test it on the back side of the transition. Might have to get a couple different colors. Maybe even mix n match em to dial it in to get just the right match. Let the stain dry over night then hit it with some poly and you’re good to go. I like to attach my reducers with silicone and brad nails. 23 ga, 21 ga, 18 ga... whatever nail gun you have will work. The smaller the hole the better otherwise putty is your buddy.

Latest posts

Back