Laying down large format tiles

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggman73

I'm getting ready to lay down 8"x40" porcelain tiles in a 350 sq ft room. Are there any tips for getting the tiles even with each other? Or any suggestions at all about putting them down?

There are a lot of things one needs to know. Most are simple tile setting techniques that make life easier.

First thing being first is to start with a flat level floor. While it is possible to correct floor deviation with a mortar bed, it is much simpler to do so before one beings to lay tile.

Proper trowel size and technique is also important. Something that size you would want at least a 1/2 x 1/2 inch trowel and I might even be inclined to move to a 5/8.

When raking mortar, one needs to keep it all running in one direction. This way the ridges collapse uniformly and do not allow for hollows under the tile. Also, being much more uniform it aids in keeping tile level with one another.

BACKBUTTER YOUR TILE! This is not optional. Pack and scrape a flat layer of mortar into the back of your tile before you set them. It aids in bonding and cure and will greatly increase the stability of your tile. If you think it is not worth doing... ask yourself where all that mortar goes that you scrape across the backs.

If a tile isn't sitting flat/flush/level.... pull it out. Every mistake you make will compound further the more tile you lay. Pulling a tile out is better than putting more crappy tiles in.

Do not undersize your spacers! Manufacturers make recommendations basically on how crappy their tiles are milled. It says 1/4 I say go with 1/4, unless you are a tile God or plainly stupid.

What is your planned stagger? I cannot assume that a 40" long tile will work well with a 1/2 stagger. Natural bow in tile would likely make the middle hump very noticeable.

That's all I got

Leveling clips are prolly a good idea for a DIY install with large format tiles. The ones from HD will work just as well as any other brand of leveling clips and they cost maybe .25/ sq ft. Do everything else Mark said and use the clips and you’ll be happy with the outcome.

Be prepared for lippage no matter how much you try to get it flat.
That size tile WILL have cupping, twists, bows and irregularities. Just facts!

Most manufacturers of that size tile will recommend at the very least a 1/3 tile stagger.

Any rip cuts will definitely bow. Like said above, proper grout line spacing will help aid in hiding the lippage. You'll want plenty of mortar under there and a leveling system will be helpful but will not achieve a perfectly flat install. There's going to be some lippage no matter how hard you try.

Latest posts

Back