Lees carpet backing

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I haven't installed any Lees carpet for a few years, but never liked their backing. There's barely enough adhesive in the backing to keep the yarns in place when you cut the seam, mainly the head seams. Side seams aren't quite as bad, but even those have a heck of a lot of primary backing pieces hanging loose making thermo sealing a pain...... Latex sealing is probably as bad.
I discovered on the job that I'm working on, that even with the iron set barely above 3, (and I don't mean 3 1/4) that the seam wants to curl a tiny bit. I pulled a 'MacGuyver' quite a few years ago and made my own version of the Seamerdown. Without that, I wonder if a regular seam weight would have flattened this curl.
I did two 13 foot longseams. The dining room seam was done with Orcon XK-50, which I use on almost all seams. I did a 13 foot bedroom seam with XU-90. With that XU-90 a seamer setting of 2.5 is as hot as you can run this tape. That seam didn't try to curl.
I'm gonna look at these two seams after I stretch them today to see how they look. I may use the XU-90 on the rest of the seams in this house. I certainly will on the doorway seams which are head seams.
The house is a modular home and with 3 bedrooms, a dining room and living room, 4 closets. With a 12X118 foot roll of carpet, there's 90 feet of seams. :rolleyes:

Anyone else enjoy working with Lee's backing as little as I do?
It's pliable tho, so it seems to be friendly as far as stretching goes. I just hate the way it wants to fall apart when cutting seams. Sealing the head seams is like minor surgery locking in the loose primary backing threads and filling the voids between the primary and secondary backings.
The backing eats blades and cutting a seam with a new blade feels more like I'm cutting with a dull blade.

What are you cutting the seams on? The cushion? If so try a hard surface.
I was cutting the head seams from the back with a new blade and a straightedge. (doorway seams)
The long seams are cut from the top side on top of a 16" by 8' long piece of tempered hardboard after rowing the seam with a knitting needle. I'm cutting onto a hard surface.
Once cut, the strands of the primary backing just seem to hang there or fall lose as you apply the sealer. I surmise that's because Lee's backing is so lacking of adhesive. The voids seen between the primary and secondary backings after carefully cutting the seam edge tell me that Lee's is just being cheap. The seam cutting and sealing are just taking a long time. The customers said they looked over my seams last night and they like them.
.......so far, so good. Only 60 feet left to go. :eek:

2.5 is the maximum it can handle. Beyond that it quickly turns into Vaseline. :D

That tape was just hitting the market when I decided to stop doing crapet. I thought it was great stuff myself. Less heat distortion.
I've seen it with less that ideal amount of latex. I guess they think they can skimp due to their high pic back.

Lee's does not make a residential carpet. Carpet one owns that name. It is made by Mohawk for them. Now commercial it is still being made, but also is owned by Mohawk.

Lee's does not make a residential carpet. Carpet one owns that name. It is made by Mohawk for them. Now commercial it is still being made, but also is owned by Mohawk.
Whatever it is, it's the same backing made a dozen years ago. Hated it then, still do.
Is it marketed at Carpet One as Mohawk or Lees?

It is made by Mohawk and a private label of Carpet one. Daris the backing you are thinking of is the Lees commercial backing called Lees hot melt. Yes it is no longer made.

Six inch tape ?
I stopped using my seamer down now fan I discovered it was “sucking” so hard it was pulling the edges of the seam very evident on a plush thick rug. I’m back to tank lids

Six inch tape ?
I stopped using my seamer down now fan I discovered it was “sucking” so hard it was pulling the edges of the seam very evident on a plush thick rug. I’m back to tank lids
This past year it seems most of my work has been offerings of looped low profile and patterned carpets of one short or another. I've been using the seamer down (my likeness of it), and the cool glide on those type of carpets and I don't think I'd like to change back.
On plush or any fuzzy type carpets I do not like the Cool glide. On carpets with long fibers I like watching the carpet edges lay down into the hot glue as I make the seam.

Latest posts

Back