Leftovers available

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

install4you

Hi All.

I have some leftover bamboo flooring if anyone needs it. I don't need the full price I paid, but I prefer not to give it away. You can see what it looks like in the thread "How to tie in to existing."

Details: I have 3 unopened boxes. The attached pic of the box label should give you all info you need. This was bought in 2020. I'm not sure, but I think it was being discontinued.
I'm in central Alabama, so consider the cost of shipping if you're not nearby.

Best wishes to all,
Eddie

Attachments

• KIMG1631.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 2
Depends on what you need makin. The possibilities are endless. Coasters, cuttin boards, bat house, flag, table top, stove top cover, workbench…

I have cabin grade oak in my house and I used the extra material to make my countertops from. Then with my last half bundle of flooring, I gave it to my buddy and he made a cutting board for me out of it for a gift. I’ve made a couple flags out of leftover butcher block pieces. My JigPro 2.0 was made out of a piece of flooring I removed from a job. Make a box and give it to your wife.

Just make sure to lay the boxes somewhere flat so when you go lookin for some project wood, you don’t end up with banana boards.

Personally, I want to make a trebuchet so I can launch things. Bamboo would work just fine for that.

63605522265__B75380DA-00E5-4E24-8764-05B35AA5A8F1.jpeg
62786144903__88FE423D-BA91-4504-8A53-060CA6804A83.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg
66187358767__4CB145C0-12E9-436A-94FC-A20504A9EF37.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg
IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0396.jpeg

I've already been collecting bits of wood to create turned pieces like I've watched on YouTube. Mine will be much smaller. I have a lathe from sometime around 1900. It was sitting out in my parents' garage from around 1975 till I moved it to my storage about 2014. I need to clean it up & set it up. That will be after I condense & toss a lot of my overwhelming "lifetime collection." All that stuff is preventing me from settling up my shop in my stuffed-full garage.
My Dad & I could have competed in Olympic level dumpster diving & team hoarding. Storage space is packed.
Mostly, I hope to spend retirement years working on disaster relief teams.

I really like to find someone who can use my leftover flooring.
Eddie

BTW C.J., thanks for the pics. My compliments on all your hard work & creativity.
I enjoy meeting (even virtually) people who are true craftsmen. There's a do-it-right mind set that crosses trades & even the pro/amateur line. It's kinda an in-your-soul thing.

Anybody know if you can use bamboo flooring to make food contact stuff like cutting boards? I assume you'd have to have to remove all finish material like aluminum oxide. Would probably plane top & bottom and rip tongue & groove, then glue layers & widths to create larger pieces.

Plenty of bamboo cutting boards out there. You would want to remove the finish before you glue things together. Titebond is a good wood glue. I use TB 2, buy it by the gallon. TB 3 is the most moisture resistant of the 3 Titebonds but how much moisture are you going to be exposing it to. You sure won’t be running it through the dishwasher. If you want to go the epoxy route, most of those are food safe once they’re cured.

What are you going to finish it with is prolly more important than what you will glue it together with. Waterlox has an orangey twang to it but is a damn good finish. You’ll need a few coats and sufficient curing time in between the coats. Mineral oil is easy as can be but will require frequent maintenance. Or maybe you have something else in mind, there’s other food safe options out there, besides it’s all good in the project hood.

I’m a fan of mineral oil. It’s inexpensive but does require frequent oiling or waxing. So does a car but this is much easier.

My personal cutting board is mainly red oak. That’s a pretty grainy porous wood, prolly not the best choice for a cutting board but who cares, that’s what I had on hand at that time. I skimmed the entire thing with black 5 minute epoxy to fill all them open pores then I sanded it smooth. After that I soak it good with mineral oil for the first few days. You’ll know, based on how long it takes your cutting board to absorb oil, when you’re ready to step up to conditioner or wax.

Best thing about this kinda stuff is it’s just wood, or grass, you can always sand it and start over. You can even burn it if you don’t like it.

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_2547.jpeg
IMG_2553.jpeg

Anybody know if you can use bamboo flooring to make food contact stuff like cutting boards? I assume you'd have to have to remove all finish material like aluminum oxide. Would probably plane top & bottom and rip tongue & groove, then glue layers & widths to create larger pieces.
As long as it was made in China.........Vietnam or maybe Indonesia I'm sure it's been handled safely with all possible considerations of it's impact on human health. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though, I'd REALLY want to know what went on in that factory and every aspect of how that bamboo was handled from the time it was harvested til I opened the box. I'm sure that's what you were wondering about and for very good reason. At least if it were made here you could PROBABLY get decent details and specifications-------factory inspections/OSHA/EPA and such documents. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's why it's made overseas.

Latest posts

Back