Leveling floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno3204

In the middle of renovating a very old home and putting down rigid LVP. I have used floor leveler, grinder, sanding to get most of the problems areas level. But this little hallway alcove has me baffled. It has 4 entry ways into different rooms and all are pretty level, but right in the middle of the hall there is a high ridge. I can’t use floor leveler or I’d have to poor it through basically the entire house to level to the ridge. The high seem has a multitude of nails in it, and now some screws as I tried screwing it down which did give me some success, but still high. So to grind or sand the high spot I would have to get rid of all those nails which would probably destroy the subfloor. Anyone have any other ideas? The high spot is right on that seem in the photo. The joists run perpendicular to that seam. TIA

Attachments

• 8D99276F-9C91-499C-A863-8ECD5E782DC5.jpeg
    8D99276F-9C91-499C-A863-8ECD5E782DC5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
In looking further under the basement, there is a block wall that runs under that ridge separating two parts of the basement. The joists from each side terminate on top of that wall and under the ridge. Apparently that wall is slightly too high. So short of pulling the entire sub floor floor and shaving the joists is there any other solution. How bad would it be to just leave it and lay the LVP?

Pull all the nails and get a hand planer. I bought a new Makita recently and that bad boy pulls off up to 1/8 in at a whack.

Ok, leveler helped some but still not level. The LVP has an attached underlayment. I have also been rolling out a separate underlayment for the rest of the house. If I skip the extra underlayment just where the ridge is to assist with the leveling is that going to cause any issues. It’s over a basement with some moisture issues. So the low area will have floor leveler and extra underlayment, but the high ridge won’t have either….

Latest posts

Back