looking for 8mm light bamboo laminate flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocSavage92036

Hi All,

New to this forum - glad I found it.

I have an RV with carpeted floors. I want to remove the carpeting and install laminate flooring. The RV has 4 slideouts. When traveling, the slideouts retract over the top of the flooring in the body of the RV. That limits the thickness I can use for the laminate flooring to a maximum of 8mm.

I've done quite a bit of internet searching to find a light finish 8mm bamboo lamiante flooring. So far, the bamboo florringI like has all been 10 or 12 mm.:( Anybody know of a supplier for what i'm looking for?

Much appreciated.

Perry

Did you figure for the underlayment/cushion as well? Any Box store would have a variety of laminates. Costco has some too.

Hi Ernesto,

Thanks for your quick response and good question. The 8 mm would have to include everything, including underlay. I was hoping to find a laminate I like with an attached underlay - I'm a DIY and would like to avoid a 2 step job.

Perry

I think Mohawk and Quickstep have some 7mm or is it 8mm. Anyway, those are made in the USA. Buy American!

Perfect, Ernesto - I'll look into those two brands and get back with any info that may help others in the forum.
Perry

In an RV I'm not so sure how much of an issue it is, but how is the RV used?
Full time home usually in one location?
Used just a few times per year and usually left unheated in the winter?
............or variations of what I mentioned?

Most flooring products require acclimating to a 'standard' or 'routine' condition.................... temperature and humidity wise.

That said, how is the RV used most of the time?
This is possibly a non issue, but we don't know if you live in Florida or North Dakota...................... or both.

Add some details on how you use the RV and where you live.

Last edited:
Excellent questions, Highup. The RV is located in Julian, CA - 4300 ft, 4 seasons. Last week it was 19 F at night - today it was in the mid 40's. Summer temps. are between 60 at night to 100+ during the day. Full sun on the RV (fire control). I travel some, not too much - nothing more extreme than the temps at home. I'm a fulltimer.

What I know about RVs is that real wood floors are not reccommended. My current flooring is carpet and wood grain 7.5 mm Armstrong laminate (according to the manufacturer, NuWa). NuWa glued down the laminate flooring.

I can find 8mm laminate flooring, I just can't find it in a bamboo finish and color (light) that I'm looking for. Armsrong has exactly the bamboo style and color I want in their Allure line (vinyl), but I was hoping to put something down with better sound and temperature insulation values. Ernesto was helpful in reccommending I check out Mohawk and Quickstep - thanks, Ernesto! Unfortunately, they didn't carry bamboo laminate. I just spent a bunch on faux wood blinds with a bamboo finish and I really want to match them with the flooring. There is a lot of golden oak cabinetry and trim in this model and I don't want to get into three different woods.

I installed a bamboo laminate from quickstep only a couple years ago. And it was thin budget stuff. Might be discontuined.

Sorry for the slow response - Quickstep and Mohawk now do both have bamboos as part of their lineups (new addition in 2012) - light as you asked for. Standard 8mm thickness, patented Uniclic profile, made in USA.

We've pushed alot of Teragren bamboo out the door in the past couple years. Successful campaign for us. Has a bunch of different hues too.. from natural, to chestnut/dark, even a gnarly stripe look.

Latest posts

Back