Looking for advice regarding a sprinting surface

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom3202

Hello, l am a high school student moving away to play college football next fall. During the upcoming winter months I would like to do some sprint training in my uncle's warehouse which is currently vacant. The problem is the concrete floor is not great for sprinting on. I was hoping to lay down a strip of something or other about 3 or 4 feet wide and maybe 90 feet long. I don't have much money to spend. I was at Home Depot today and saw some 4x8 sheets of osb that were reasonably priced, and wondered about using 11 or 12 of those sheets laid end to end. I guess it wouldn't be ideal but maybe better than concrete. If anyone had some suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Are you going to fasten it down? If not, won't it move under your feet.
I guess I could if need be. I'm not sure if the 4x8 sheets of OSB I mentioned would move much if they were butted together end to end. That idea wouldn't provide a ton of cushioning but probably better than concrete.

The osb wouldn't lay flat especially on the butted edges. It would probably clatter as you took each step.
Dance studios use material for absorbing impact. They tape the sections together with gaffers tape. That way the sheets can be disassembled and relocated. I'm thinking sheet vinyl could do the same thing, but probably a little lot cheaper. Only problem I see is keeping it from sliding out from under you during 'takeoff'

They make sheet vinyls with thicknesses of 1/8 " or more. Home centers or flooring retailers usually carry these. My only concern is how 'grippy' these would be just laying on the concrete. How smooth the concrete is would factor in.
22 feet of 13' wide material would make it 88 feet by just over 3 feet wide.

Last edited:
They make sheet vinyls with thicknesses of 1/8 " or more. Home centers or flooring retailers usually carry these. My only concern is how 'grippy' these would be just laying on the concrete. How smooth the concrete is would factor in.
22 feet of 13' wide material would make it 88 feet by just over 3 feet wide.
Great. Thanks. I'll check that out.

Latest posts

Back