Loose lay carpet issue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
I did a job recently. It was commercial level loop carpet in an L-shaped room.
Most of the area is concrete and the shorter part of the L-shape is pressure-treated decking. There is a huge hot tub) and hat was empty at the time of installation in the area with the decking.
I lose laid the long shot, trimmed it in and it layers nice and flat.
Then I had to roll the hot tub ( which was up on dollies ) on top of the loose laid carpet.
I seamed the carpet with my Koolglide iron.
Once everything was trimmed and I rolled the hot tub back into the area where it will be used.
When I left there was a couple slight areas of fullness ( from rolling the tub over the carpet.)
The carpet was not cut too full anywhere.
It was a warm day when I installed it and I hoped it would lay flat.
The fullness is not going away.
Do you thing steaming the areas and putting weight on them would help?

You could try steaming it if the backing is deformed from rolling the heavy load but loose lays, if cut in tight to the wall, are always a risk. I would think you need at least a little bit of space around the perimeter to allow for movement.

Glue that shit down and be done with it!

I was done doing loose lay anything years ago. They always seem to be an issue. I don't make any money going back for dumb shit. No money = no Tom. I send them down the road if they don't want to.

FBA4F6C3-34E5-443D-87E7-86A68D6F1B02.jpeg

This is a rough sketch of the area
I might have to try to pull back the 15 x 19 area into the tub area and glue the part with the concrete.
The dotted line is the seam what is hot melted. The squiggly lines are the area where there is some fullness
The customer did not want me to use glue and I know from experience it’s not good to glue over pressure treated decking.
The two face tape was a good idea but if I go through all the trouble of getting the carpet pulled back that far I probably will just glue the concrete area.
You are right Tom, but this is a customer I’ve done tons of work for and didn’t want to turn him down.
He wanted the carpet under the tub but I should’ve just told him to put the tub where he wants and fill it with water and cut around it.

Hey Don, sounds like the area rug got tweaked from the dolly. I would try tweaking it back using the power stretching. If phase 1 doesn’t work, roll the rug back to the wrinkles, apply sections of double face reducer tape, then lightly stretch and fasten to the pad only.

If phase 3 is needed, maybe cut carpet at hot tube, reposition rug flat, and bind cut edges. Good luck brother!

I see they don't want glue for some reason. Another thought 💭. How about trying to stretch twords the decking and toss in a couple staples.... In the decking part?

Also, maybe not warranty anything loose laid? They've been nothing but problems for me in the past.

Latest posts

Back