LVP and baseboard issue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRAZ

New DIY’er here

We are hoping to install LVP over existing ceramic tile, but in the process of trying to remove the existing baseboards, I found out that the previous owner did not place the tile under the existing baseboards but rather abutted into the baseboards. At this point I’m trying to figure out the best options for the luxury vinyl planks. I understand that I can put the LVP over the existing tile and at the existing baseboards could do a quarter round, but the existing baseboards are tapered design, and are narrower at the top. So there is a gap at the top of the quarter round where it meets the baseboard. Does anyone have experience with this? I really don’t want to tear up the tile, and would hate to destroy the floor boards, but removing them from the tile and grout would be a massive undertaking. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

It’s SOP to install baseboards before flooring in AZ. Don’t know why but it is. Good news is you can get the existing base out and reuse it if you’re careful. Corner pieces, if you have them, can get broken easily but new ones are easy to come by so just prepare for that. Prolly have to paint your existing base anyway to deal with the grout stain unless you’re able to clean it up enough to not have to worry about it.

First thing you gotta do is to take a utility knife and score the caulking where the baseboard meets sheetrock. You may have to run your knife down it several times if necessary. That bead of caulk is locking your base in place to the sheetrock and if you don’t cut it you’ll end up damaging the base and sheetrock so take your time and score all the way through it until your blade is actually hitting sheetrock. Now you gotta slip something behind the base and pry it forward. Be careful that you don’t dent the sheetrock. Smaller pieces of base will rock out fairly easily. Longer pieces will need a little working from one end to the other. Rock the base out enough until you can get a pry bar underneath. Now you’re just prying it up enough to overcome the force of the 18? gauge nails. They will bend before the base breaks as long as you’re careful. It’s not that hard, just take your time and work it carefully. I know you’re gonna split a piece or two of base. It will happen so don’t sweat it, just don’t let it happen again. Super glue it right back together and you’ll never even notice anything after some fresh caulk and paint when you’re all done.

I recommend you start at one end of the house and work towards the other in a methodical fashion. Number each piece of base and the corresponding wall it came from. You’ll appreciate doing this when you go to put your base back up.

Something else to think about is what are you going to do with the 1/2” to 3/4” gap that is left where your base used to be. You gonna fill it with patch? Yes you are. Don't chance it that your LVP won’t sag cus if you’re too cheap to fill the gap you’re likely too cheap to buy a product that won’t sag. Nothing personal, just observations I’ve seen throughout the years.

I wouldn’t consider this a massive undertaking but it definitely is gonna be work.

Latest posts

Back