LVP over tongue and groove subfloor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too funny @C.J. I'm ok with it if we give @MikeAntonetti the disagree button. I'm just glad to see him posting more lately. I think I got more of them than anybody else from him at TFP. I think I was up to five or six when the site went dark.

Hey, maybe the icon could be an old school pencil sharpener!!!! As in "I disagree, you need to go sharpen your pencil!" Awe man what an idea! I feel like Elon smoking a big old fatty comin' up with the brilliance!!! :D

I still appreciate that we can disagree and still be able to communicate well. I respect his opinion and his experience and especially his "out of the box" style of thinking. Mike usually gets me looking at things from a perspective that I often didn't consider.

It's also how I learn when I'm wrong. As much as I think I know about this industry it's always changing and there's always something new to learn. What I know today can be totally incorrect tomorrow because of a one small change. Just like you said, the truth's the truth no matter whether you like it or not. I can deal with that.

You know me, it would have to be a pink pencil sharpener.

680283CC-E0CC-4D8F-BCCB-49122D76930C.jpeg

Since it is too late to go back now, wanna know something else that drives me crazy...
It is when customers walk in and ask for "scratch proof" flooring and I have to tell them it does not exist.
Then they settle on the most scratch resistant....
Typically I will lean towards a good laminate for this, we have literally perfected that stuff and it is bullet proof.
Then they get this look on their face all scrunched up and such because the interwebs and every home building show on the planet touts how scratch proof vinyl plank is.
Then I get out my trusty ribbed edge quarter and BLOW THEIR MINDS!!!
...... then they ask if laminate is waterproof :(
Then I die on the inside a little bit.
Then I tell people we have a few options with a 100 hour surface stability guarantee, then they hum and haw and ask to see vinyl plank 🤬

Assuming I do this 100% in accordance with manufacturers guidelines, and end up with a problem, how likely is it I'll get anything from the manufacturer under warranty? I bought locally if that helps at all.

If anyone has practical experience with a claim it would be great to hear about it.
I'll bite.

I'd bet you wouldn't get a plug nickle from ANY manufacturer. I have been installing off an on since 1978 and historically even installers are just flat out bound to lose in an inspection from a manufacturer. The way it works is, if you call for an inspection and it is your fault not only do you pay for the floor to be replaced you also pay for the inspection. You better have your shyte in one neat pile when they show up. I haven't paid for one yet and I don't intend to. If you call for an inspection for claim and it is in fact the manufacturers fault then you don't pay for anything.

These new rigid core products will warp on the ends and not stay together, they are making them out of all kinds o stuff in China and all points overseas so don't expect it to be highly inspected or any of that. Lately I open a box and it has two repeats in it.

As for your floor being flat, put six or ten pieces together and walk on it. if you like it and it doesn't have a lot of air under it. Install it.

Man I need a 3 day weekend to catch up to all this, without my dumbass taking on work those days.

I agree with an agree button, there CFR, threw you a bone! I was thinking today early days when you joined TFP, if I moved close to you I’d definitely ride your commercial flooring wave raking in cash.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer. You all confirmed some of what I was thinking. As a novice though it's easy to get lost in the overload of information (good and bad) available on the internet.

The opinion of a professional that has worked with the material is invaluable in helping a novice to sort through it all. Thank you all for your time.

But the man in the shop said you can lay this 3m wide vinyl through all these doorways without a join in the doorways
I just say get the man from the shop as he will do it for you. I am going home
Had one guy saying we could waterfall vinyl down these stairs like carpet
But the man in the shop said you can do it
I seem to atract them all :)

Latest posts

Back