LVP rip out hardwood or raise subfloor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jferrara

I just purchased a house built in 1995. The entire interior is getting updated. On the first floor there is approximately 1000sqft of beat up hardwood surrounded by 1300sqft of carpet. We have 4 kids and eventually large dogs. I wanted to cover the entire first floor in a heavy duty waterproof stone core LVP. There is a 3/4” gap in height between subfloor under carpet and the hardwood. Is it better to raise a lot of subfloor or rip out the hardwood? Which is the lesser of the 2 evils. Thank you

Dead trees are dead last I checked. Dead things don't 'breathe.' Just a terminology thing.

I believe what Mark is getting at is your hardwood could very well (insert will be here) affected by the ambient conditions ~ temperature AND relative humidity ~ from below AND above. When you change that equation by placing a layer above that is not hygroscopic, (meaning it does not change in dimensions from change in moisture content) and will prevent the moisture from gassing off, to use Mark's words, "they sure can." Meaning you can expect little unexpected surprises.

Just because... Mirriam-Webster defines breath as such

6a: to permit passage of air or vapor

I just thought it prudent to point out that the word breathe has more function than is limited to the exchange of gas in living organisms :)

Latest posts

Back