Machine sizing for polish

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nukedaddy

I am building a 1500 square foot pole barndominium as a shop and Mancave. the concrete floor will be fiberglass reinforced with sawed control joints. About 500 sqft I want a high polish, the remaining 1000 sqft will get a mild grind and densified&sealed surface to resist stains.
I want to rent the machines.
Can anyone recommend the size/ capacity of the grinding machine needed? Can anyone suggest a rental vendor that would send the machine(s) to Southern Illinois?
I will do all the grinding when the building is being built and can do all grinding wet until the burnishing steps after densification.

Maybe somebody else can advise but I'm concerned about the fiberglass preventing the floor from having a smooth finish after polishing. I'm thinking that fiberglass wouldn't shear off cleanly and would leave little fuzzy things sticking up. I think my own choice would be lots of rebar.
I'm just taking a stab at it so we'll see what the other guys come up with for advice.

I was also concerned about that, but questioned the contractor. He said the fiberglass had no effect on regular fast troweling for a slick “regular” finish, so I figured that grinding would shear the fibers as well. And the densifier/sealer should help to avoid such issues. But then again, I might be whistling through the graveyard in such a hope. I look forward to hearing from someone’s first hand experience to tell me if I should give up the polish in favor of epoxy.

As to my original question: My mancave will be 1500 sqft. I can rent a 110v 2-head machine that takes segments locally. I can rent a 110v floor polisher for 14” discs from another source who also sells Diamond impregnated discs.
I am worried that 1500 sqft is too much for these 110v machines and want to consider a 240v or engine powered machine. With 3 planetary tilting heads for segmented metal and resin abrasives.

I used to have a Pearl Abrasive grinding head for a 17” floor buffer. They do work but they definitely take more time than a heavier, more powerful machine designed specifically for that task. If you lived somewhere that access to such machinery wasn’t available then I’d roll with a floor buffer otherwise I’d keep lookin for a more appropriately tasked pieces of equipment.

Latest posts

Back