Major carpet ramp up

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carpet shims or shakes. Ive done patch and drilled holes to screw tack down or patch and shims.

Ended up getting the top side of the tackstrip to within almost 1/2 inch of the tile surface.
I cut a couple strips of 3/8" plywood about 2 3/4" wide, then glued and nailed it to the concrete a quarter of an inch away from the tile. I screeded Ardex about 2 1/2 feet out from the plywood edge. I then cut and tacked in a 3/16" shim under the tackstrip. That was yesterday.
Today, after a test fit, I decided to add a tiny bit more shim. I put a strip of thin vinyl under the tackstrip and another under the pad next to the tackstrip. The pad ended up about 1/16" higher than the strip................... good enough for who it's for. :D
The plywood made for a consistant edge to screed from, plus made nailing the strip a WHOLE lot easier.
Having the pad 1/8 of an inch taller than the strip would have probably been better, but it ended up looking really nice. I would rather have had the entire affair end up 3/16 to 1/4 inch taller than it did, but that probably have caused a tripping issue from ramping out that much filler. It would probably have taken another 4 or 5 bags of Ardex too because I'd have ramped it out a lot further. What I did, took 4 bags.

Last edited:
I would wonder if that high of a ramp would keep the carpet tight after traffic. They need more subfloor to do it correctly. Could self level it up but it should have been figured out by someone in a higher pay grade, not us eating it.

I would wonder if that high of a ramp would keep the carpet tight after traffic. They need more subfloor to do it correctly. Could self level it up but it should have been figured out by someone in a higher pay grade, not us eating it.
Took me a while to remember this job....... 2014 was over two years ago. 😁

I would start with a 12” wide piece of 3/4 ply up against the tile and a layer of undercourse on top of that. Feather out with a screed 6 ft from there (obviously less in the 4’ wide area) and call it a day. Gotta work with what you got. I’ve done jobs like that where I stair stepped it down with self leveler using foam to separate the steps but you don’t have the room.

Oops, just read the last post…lol…A little late…

I would start with a 12” wide piece of 3/4 ply up against the tile and a layer of undercourse on top of that. Feather out with a screed 6 ft from there (obviously less in the 4’ wide area) and call it a day. Gotta work with what you got. I’ve done jobs like that where I stair stepped it down with self leveler using foam to separate the steps but you don’t have the room.

Oops, just read the last post…lol…A little late…
Maybe not, it's been long enough they probably need new carpet by now and I'll need to revisit this thread anyway 😁

Latest posts

Back