matching old and new floorboards, lye finish

Help Support Flooring Forum:

hermione

Hello! I sanded my dark stain floors and the boards are two very different tones. I want to bleach the boards with Danish lye for an all-over light finish, but worried that won't even out the colour... any suggestions? Thanks :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33e6.jpg

highup

Professional
Pro
I'm surprised after sanding the old boards aren't lighter. How many passes with the sander?
We're the boards all the same color before sanding?

hermione

the boards all had a thick dark stain before sanding... took a lot to get it off. The colour isn't a surface layer. I think it's a different type of wood, assuming both pine, but not entirely sure about the darker one...

highup

Professional
Pro
Wood like yours isn't my profession, but looks to me like staining the lighter wood to match might be a better option. Does the Danish lye need to be neutralized after it performs it's magic?

hermione

Thanks for the thoughts. Excess lye gets washed off, floor then treated with oil or floor soap. I think I will test the lye on both woods to see how they respond. Aiming for a nice light finish if at all poss, something along these lines
1589739800138.png

highup

Professional
Pro
Only concern that I have right now is will the lye remove stain because that might be the darkness in the wood, not simply the wood species.
You can always try a small area near the wall and on a plank that adjoins the lighter colored wood.

Latest posts