matching old and new floorboards, lye finish

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermione

Hello! I sanded my dark stain floors and the boards are two very different tones. I want to bleach the boards with Danish lye for an all-over light finish, but worried that won't even out the colour... any suggestions? Thanks :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33e6.jpg

I'm surprised after sanding the old boards aren't lighter. How many passes with the sander?
We're the boards all the same color before sanding?

the boards all had a thick dark stain before sanding... took a lot to get it off. The colour isn't a surface layer. I think it's a different type of wood, assuming both pine, but not entirely sure about the darker one...

Wood like yours isn't my profession, but looks to me like staining the lighter wood to match might be a better option. Does the Danish lye need to be neutralized after it performs it's magic?

Thanks for the thoughts. Excess lye gets washed off, floor then treated with oil or floor soap. I think I will test the lye on both woods to see how they respond. Aiming for a nice light finish if at all poss, something along these lines
1589739800138.png

Only concern that I have right now is will the lye remove stain because that might be the darkness in the wood, not simply the wood species.
You can always try a small area near the wall and on a plank that adjoins the lighter colored wood.

The lye worked a treat and evened out the colours of the floorboards really well! Here's some pics before during and after. I used white oil to finish.

IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2094.jpg

just one obstinate floorboard :)

Wow, I would not have guessed that was going to work so well. I love the color. Thanks for taking time to report back and help others learn. Not just the locals here (old geezers), but anyone dropping in to read about this sort of stuff.
And that one stubborn board? Maybe experiment with a highly diluted stain....
If a water based stain, use a hair dryer dry to dry it relatively fast.
heck... might try coffee or tea for all I know.
Practicing of course on a scrap board. Anyway, it looks great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back