Mayday! Mayday!, Tiling Shower Surround– Metal Flashing Obstruction

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstay

I can really use some help. I’m a DYI and remodeling my bathroom; I was cruising along preparing the shower to install backer-board and ran into an unexpected issue. I have a metal flashing that runs from the window sill down the wall about 2 inches. (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE) My question is how do I address this metal flashing when preparing the wall for backer-board/tile?
A. Cut the metal
B. Unscrew and lift it up the flashing, placing the backer-board underneath.
C. Run the backer-board up to the flashing, accepting that is the limit for tiling the wall.
D. [Insert Your Suggestion]

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!
JJ

photo.jpg

Last edited:
My usual response to this type of question is to tell you to hire a pro however you've caught me in a good mood and Im feeling helpful. You should NOT cut the flashing, its there for a reason. I would install the backer under it so not to mess with its functionality. I would also make sure to use some waterproofing membrane over it and the backer to ensure youre not taking on water once the shower begins to get used again. Do it right the first time and you wont have to fix it later.

How far off the floor is this window?

Typically, when addressing a window inside a shower, particularly one that is within the wet area that would normally be waterproofed, all materials around the window frame would be removed and replaced with an approved tile backer. The tile backer that covers the bottom part of the frame would be sloped about 1/16" so that water doesn't stand on it. The backer would be waterproofed, with the waterproofing layer sealed to the window with a flexible sealant like silicone. Then the window frame would be tiled.

Does your window fall within this area that it might get wet? Simply tiling over what is there is going to be a problem if it is. I'm not sure why it's there, but it may need to be removed, depending on the answers to my questions.

I like Kman's answer. Thats just sheetrock cornerbead. Why stop the tile below it when it would look better tiled and waterproofed. Sure you could go around it with backer board if you wanted. It's all a PITA going around windows like that with a short sill.

Latest posts

Back