Measuring a geodesic doom home

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I've got an odd one. part shoe box, but it's a dome home on the middle of three floors. The main and lower levels aren't such an issue. The upper level contains the partial dome.
Say the dome is 28 feet point to point. If I drew this into a circle, then added the plank width to the radius, would that be close?
......of course, the add a percentage of waste on top of that.

Attachments

• PXL_20221214_063947495.jpg
    PXL_20221214_063947495.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221214_072406661.jpg
    PXL_20221214_072406661.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I would lay out whole shots for the circle. There will be a lot of waste on the sides but you can use that up on stairs.

If you’re talkin bout a plank floor then JP is on it but I would bump up the waste factor past the usual 10%.

Last edited:
Box it up--------you can break it down to rectangles and triangles to get a VERY accurate square footage. I'd add 10% to that. Seems like those triangles ALL pair up to make rectangles. Seems pretty simple to me. I would not use radius/circle geometry when I can use simple math.

Attachments

• Squares and rectangles.jpg
    Squares and rectangles.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I measured an odd one similar to that one, did like Incognito suggested. Customer baulked at the footage, said it was way high. That was for plank, I'm thinking sheet goods would have more waste.

I measured an odd one similar to that one, did like Incognito suggested. Customer baulked at the footage, said it was way high. That was for plank, I'm thinking sheet goods would have more waste.
No doubt sheet goods would waste more than plank with that layout. Not sure 10% makes sense as a waste factor IF you could really secure accurate dimensions by measuring every wall. In that case you should be fine with 5%. It just wouldn't be a risk I would want to play around with.

Box it up--------you can break it down to rectangles and triangles to get a VERY accurate square footage. I'd add 10% to that. Seems like those triangles ALL pair up to make rectangles. Seems pretty simple to me. I would not use radius/circle geometry when I can use simple math.
πr² plus 10% to be safe? 677 ft.?
I did box it up in the end. The little backwards number seven is a staircase and after subtracting a portion of the staircase area, I came out with 650 ft, so you're pretty darn close to what I came up with.
When I do measurements for the store I try my best to measure accurately and let the store add the percentage. If I add the percentage around everything up to a larger number and then they add a percentage onto that it gets out of hand. The shop knows how I measure

Sorry I've been slow getting back to this but it's been a busy week.
My brother and I were heading up to finish a bedroom that we started on Wednesday and we got a little over halfway there and going up a passing Lane, my truck decided to turn itself off. I coasted as far up the road as I could to an area where I can pull off the road and check things out. This of course is one of the very few times that I've left my bag full of tools at the job site. I'll leave my stretcher and drill and regular carpet tools at the job but I almost always throw my bag with my knives and my pliers and screwdrivers etc back in my truck every night.
I do have a multimeter and my hand tools such as wrenches and sockets but it's hard to unscrew a screw with a socket, you need a screwdriver.
I turned the ignition on and it wouldn't start and wouldn't even try.
I ended up paying $225 to get towed home. That kind of sucked but it is what it is.
I deducted from our testing that we were getting fuel and no spark. I was tempted to phone a friend to have him bring me a new coil. I'm glad I didn't waste his time because it ended up needing an ignition module.
When I got home my neighbor drove me down to O'Reilly's and I picked up an ignition coil and and a module. I put on the new coil first and that had no effect whatsoever so I took off the distributor cap and replaced the module and put on my old distributor cap and it fired right up. The only thing good about today is where we were parked had sunlight for the few hours we were sitting there. It could have been raining and windy and miserable but because the sun was out my little black truck stayed warm and comfortable.
The homeowner wasn't thrilled about sleeping in the living room one more night but he understood. I called him to let him known that would be back up there tomorrow to finish up.

Last edited:
Sorry for the truck issues, but its good you got them squared away. I try and measure the same way, accurate footage and let them figure waste. I'll give them an opinion if they ask.

I was fortunate that my dad taught me how to change the oil and spark plugs, set the timing adjust the valves, set the points, and all that stuff. I think when I was 13 or maybe 14 he let me do a tune-up on the Dodge Coronet. Everything from the air filter to the oil filter. New plugs points distributor cap etc. I guess he thought I was capable.
It turned out great.
Later in life, probably in my late twenties, I got gutsy and decided to rebuild my Chevy 350. I ended up rebuilding another engine and going so far as to spend a couple of weeks porting, reshaping some brand new heads. But I don't feel comfortable with are fuel injection and computers.
It wasn't hard to diagnose my problem, the problem is I didn't have the parts I needed and my tools were at the job site. I don't think the tow company got real rich. 220 bucks bothered my pocketbook but I know from the time the driver left the shop, loaded my truck onto his, drove it to my house then return back to the shop had to have been two hours. I tip the driver 20 bucks, that's all I had in my pocket.

Latest posts

Back