Moisture for engineered click install stranded bamboo flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Tarr

Hi, this is my first time trying to install hardwood flooring. I have been reading that it is critical to check the moisture content of the flooring and the subfloor. My question is, what do you do if the moisture content is too high. From what I have read, you can apply a sealant to the subfloor. However, what do you do if the hardwood flooring itself is out of spec?

Thanks
Gary

You just need to acclimate the flooring to it's new home.... yours. The moisture content between the floor and your wood needs to be as close to the same as possible. Time will do that.
Assuming you have a wood subfloor?

I'm not a wood floor guru, but need some additional info.
If the subfloor is wood, is their a vapor barrier on the ground under the house?
Is the wood you plan to install, solid 3/4 inch or an engineered product?

Thanks for both your inputs. In answer to your questions, the subfloor is OSB. I am trying to install Home Legends stranded bamboo click install engineered hardwood using the floating method. The plan is to install QuietWalk underlayment.

It sounds like I need to check the moisture level in the OSB and make sure it is OK. The just let the Hardwood flooring set in the room for a week or so.

Does that sound right?

Thanks
Gary

Acclimating in the rooms where it will be installed, is necessary, and the longer the better. Putting it in the garage would be a bad idea.
Yes, check the subfloor and the bamboo if you can. A pin type meter won't work. They make what are called non destructive meters that you place on the floor and the electronically measure moisture. Pin meters need to have the pins poke into the wood to measure moisture, but as I said, the won't work in your situation.
If the crawl space under your house has a well placed vapor barrier, your chances of success will be a lot better. Check with the flooring manufacturer and see if they approve of installing a vapor retarder on the floor before installing the product. I'm speaking of a craft like paper called Aquabar. It reduces vapor transmission from under the house, creeping inside the house.
Bamboo isn't really wood, but like wood, you will want to keep the heat and humidity somewhat stable..... meaning don't flip the heat off for two weeks at Christmas time if you go visit relatives.
What's the climate like where you live? You might get by with just acclimating. Not many installers here check the moisture, they acclimate the flooring.
Also, you probably need to sand the OSB seams.... Most are a bit higher than the rest of the sheet. You want the floor to be as smooth and flat as you can get it. Check the manufacturer specs on flatness. This is important so the joints don't flex when you walk in the floor.

Acclimating in the rooms where it will be installed, is necessary, and the longer the better. Putting it in the garage would be a bad idea.
Yes, check the subfloor and the bamboo if you can. A pin type meter won't work. They make what are called non destructive meters that you place on the floor and the electronically measure moisture. Pin meters need to have the pins poke into the wood to measure moisture, but as I said, the won't work in your situation.
If the crawl space under your house has a well placed vapor barrier, your chances of success will be a lot better. Check with the flooring manufacturer and see if they approve of installing a vapor retarder on the floor before installing the product. I'm speaking of a craft like paper called Aquabar. It reduces vapor transmission from under the house, creeping inside the house.
Bamboo isn't really wood, but like wood, you will want to keep the heat and humidity somewhat stable..... meaning don't flip the heat off for two weeks at Christmas time if you go visit relatives.
What's the climate like where you live? You might get by with just acclimating. Not many installers here check the moisture, they acclimate the flooring.
Also, you probably need to sand the OSB seams.... Most are a bit higher than the rest of the sheet. You want the floor to be as smooth and flat as you can get it. Check the manufacturer specs on flatness. This is important so the joints don't flex when you walk in the floor.

Thanks for your input. As I am not in any hurry, I will just let the wood acclimate for a couple of weeks. Great tip on the OSB. I will check the seams.

Gary

Check the entire floor for high strands. A sharp chisel can offer shave the strands flat. 50 grit in a belt sander work good.

Latest posts

Back