Moisture protection

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I'm going to be installing some Brazilian Cherry prefinished wood floor in older home. It was built in 1906 and it's two stories. Lower story is a basement with a ceiling that's close to 8 ft tall. About 3/4 of the basement is a concrete floor or concrete surfaces. The rest of it is dirt covered with black plastic.
The underlayment for this engineered 5-in Brazilian cherry is a dense thin felt with an aluminum foil moisture barrier. The floor in one bedroom is 80% bare plywood, but the other 20% of the room is covered in linoleum. I don't have a clue what the perm rating is on linoleum.
There is a smaller bedroom about 10x11 or less and a hallway that's 9x3 and 1/2. these both have linoleum on them too.
I'm wondering if it's a good idea or a bad idea to unroll another layer of protection at least on the plywood areas. I'm thinking of aquabar b paper, overlapped and taped, and then unrolling the synthetic felt on top of that. Since the underlayment already has a vapor layer on it, would at adding the aquabar paper on the floor first be a good idea or a bad idea?

The material is a 3 ply product from LL. It's Brazilian Cherry with a fairly thick top layer. It's constructed like Kahrs flooring, with a veneer of wood top and bottom, then finger joint layer in the center. Material has been at the house for a few months. Heat is on. Basement of course has no heat. The floor is insulated with a plastic wrapped fiberglass batts.

Latest posts

Back