Moisture Test Concrete for Vinyl

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efarver

I have a job that I'm quoting right now for vinyl on an existing slab in a basement. There is currently carpet on the slab. Just wondering what tests you guys use and how you go about charging for the testing. I've never had to test myself before usually had a GC to do it before I got there. I don't think they have had moisture problems but I don't want to go into a multi thousand dollar job with any doubts. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Flooring Forum

What kind of fee is usually charged for moisture testing? It gonna be a little involved as the job is about an hour from home and I'll have to make multiple trips.

sheet vinyl? ive never done a moisture test for sheet vinyl----the main concern there is that the material has a moisture barrier---though i would probably avoid standing water

If you glue it down and the concrete has a moisture problem, it is not a good idea.

One of the first signs of any moisture is if the room smells musty
With these new plastic backed vinyls they will actually attract any moisture in the slab to the surface. Its like putting a sheet of glass on the lawn After a little while there will be little drops of moisture on the back of the glass. The older asbestos backed vinyl would actually absorb a small amount of moisture coming from the slab. Also the moisture from the slab will kill the glue making it all go mushy

That's exactly what I thought. It will probably be plastic backed and glued down which is why I was concerned about moisture. That and staying within specs so I'm not liable for future problems. So let's say I do a calcium chloride test myself. What would be a fair price to charge for the testing? I've never done it so not sure how involved it actually is.

Latest posts

Back