Most common cause of computer freeze up

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
If a computer with XP has good ram, and power supply is good, what's the most common cause of a computer freezing up?
Processor or, hard drive or the XP program itself degrading over time.
If I have a couple of sites loading up, the little blue circles are spinning normally (Firefox) showing a page is loading.
Sometimes and more and more often, the circles slow down or do a start/stop routine.......... if I don't either disconnect or stop loading a website, the confuzer will freeze and I have to manually shut it down and do a restart. I'm having to do this on a way to regular basis. (many times per day)

1. Too Many Programs Opening

As you know, each program in your computer needs some internal and hardware resources to keep it running. If multiple programs are running at the same time, your computer will start to freeze because memory is used by a number of programs.

In this situation, you should right-click Task Manager, choose Task Manager, click the Processes, find the program that is frozen and click End Task. It is recommended to run programs you need at that precise moment.

computer-keeps-freezing-1.jpg

2. Driver Corruption or Errors

Drivers are used to communicate with other hardware devices and the operating system. Outdated or damaged drivers are another reason why your Windows keeps freezing. Therefore, to prevent your computer from freezing, you should make sure that your drives are always updated.

3. Overheating

Excess heat can cause computer freezes. It is purely an environmental issue. If the temperature of your system processor is higher than usual, the chances are that your computer may freeze.

To avoid this, please make sure that your computer’s vents are not blocked. And, it is recommended to use computer casing for harsh environments.

4. Insufficient RAM

If your computer freezes at regular intervals of time, the reason could be an insufficient RAM. You can consider upgrading your RAM or reinstalling operating system to solve this issue.

5. BIOS Settings

Modifying BIOS settings may put the system in the freeze mode. Resetting the BIOS to default could fix your freezing problem.

6. Faulty External Devices

Faulty USB or other external devices including the mouse and keyboard connected to the system can cause computer freezes. You can try connecting one device at a time to try and find which of your devices is the cause. And, try updating the USB device drivers to fix this problem.

7. Computer Viruses

Sometimes, when your computer keeps freezing and not responding, you need to think about computer viruses. It is recommended to perform an antivirus check regularly.

8. Corrupted or Missing System Files

According to report, we find many Windows 10 or Windows 7 keeps freezing because the system files are corrupted or missing.

9. Software Errors

No matter how great the software may be or how much you trust the creator, there’s a strong possibility that the cause of a computer freeze is a piece of third-party software.

Some applications may take up a lot of memory and attempt to perform actions or access resources that Windows cannot understand. If your computer isn’t able to handle the strain, it can get hung up and freeze. To fix this, you should update all third-party software that is installed on your computer.

In addition to the above-stated reasons, there are other reasons like broken memory card, low disk space, etc. Whatever the cause, the main thing is to fix this problem without affecting the original data. Next, let’s see how to effectively fix the issue.. Plus you have a slow connection, You should open only one site at a time .. If you think you are infected , Post in the Tech forum and i will pink slip them ..

I click on task manager all the time. Once in a while it appears almost instantly, and sometimes it may take 45 seconds after hitting CTRL Alt Del. Sometimes when I hits CTRL Alt Del, the page I have opened turns black, or partially black, yet the blue spinning icons that shows a page is loading are still visible.
Firefox is the only item that consumes data viewing processes.

Hi,
  • Please download comintrep.zip and save it to your desktop
  • Unzip downloaded file. It'll create cintrepair folder. Inside that folder you'll find CIntRep.exe file
  • Double click on CIntRep.exe to run the tool
  • Place a checkmark next to the following entries:

• Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
  • Repair Winsock (Reset Catalog)
  • Renew Internet Connections
  • Flush DNS Resolver Cache
  • Repair Internet Explorer xxxx
  • Clear Windows Update History
  • Repair Windows / Automatic Updates
  • Repair SSL / HTTPS / Cryptography
  • Reset Windows Firewall Configuration
  • Restore the default hosts file
  • Repair Workgroup Computers view

• Click Go!
  • Ignore any error messages for now
  • Click OK to reboot your computer
  • Check your internet access.. Let me know if you still get the freezing ..

Will checking the renew internet connections erase my connection info so I have to make a new connection?
This is my PC with XP, but I assume you know that.
I hate my W10 laptop.
You mentioned having just one window open at a time......... The pages don't load up any faster if I have one page or three pages loading.

For what it's worth, the problem isn't sudden or recent. It's been getting worse year after year for a long time. The black screen issue is probably 2 years old. It's just noticeably worse these days. In all my years on the internet, I don't recall any viruses or infections. I surf safe, to avoid problems. My issues are probably the WIN XP getting dementia or my hard drive wearin out, or the processor going downhill.

I have a couple installed. I wondered if one was better than another, so I put another on in so I could switch back and forth to compare them. Didn't make a difference.

You can , And you can run it from the flash drive without downloading it ..

I have so many software programs that would check things out for you , I just have to find them ..

Latest posts

Back