Multiple issues on Windows 7 Ultimate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have some version of Acronis True Image. Not sure what happened to it.

I'll add that to my list of things to get. now to decide which version.... LOL. Looks like there are various ones.

Get the free one on the left side of the page .

I don't see it. I admit I use adblockers because of my bandwidth issues. A lot of ads use flash and other stuff that loads additional data and contributes to going over my monthly limit so I have all sorts of adblock, flashblock, popup block, etc to try to keep the loading down. Still need to find something to help block HTML5 from auto-loading videos and stuff. 10Gb a month limit doesn't get me very far with all the webpage bloat.

My computer completely locked up yesterday early in the morning so I had to manually shut it off with the power button. It ran the checkdisk thing for several hours (It had done about 30% in 3 or 4 hours) and I went to the store for shopping hell with my mother for several hours. It was done when I came back but I didn't see the results. Is there a way for me to see the logs for it?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application -> Wininit

Wininit is found under the source column.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application -> Wininit

Wininit is found under the source column.

Ok. This is what it said in the log:
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 806656 file records processed. File verification completed. 2626 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 49 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 925020 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 806656 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 1479 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 1479 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 1479 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 59183 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 36109520 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x970c000 for 0x10000 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x9717000 for 0x1000 bytes. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 247829 of name \Windows\Fonts\phagspab.ttf. 806640 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 13590692 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 976760831 KB total disk space. 921109368 KB in 666636 files. 349216 KB in 59184 indexes. 4 KB in bad sectors. 939475 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 54362768 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 244190207 total allocation units on disk. 13590692 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 4f 0c 00 47 13 0b 00 20 9f 13 00 00 00 00 00 .O..G... ....... ef 38 00 00 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .8..1........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Looks like that was the afflicted font that was causing problems. What an odd name for a font...
And the text tool taking forever in MSPaint thing is now gone!!! Woohoo!
Time to see if GIMP will load...
Update: GIMP no longer hangs up on the Fonts thing and I got it to open now!

Thanks, Nick!

Now to resolve the problem with the thing thinking windows isn't genuine...

Last edited:
I still don't like what I see.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 and also reporting bad clusters and bad sectors.
How are the other issues you reported at the beginning like long boot time, for instance.

I still don't like what I see.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 and also reporting bad clusters and bad sectors.
How are the other issues you reported at the beginning like long boot time, for instance.

I haven't rebooted it since. I'll have to do that later and check the boot time. I will still migrate to another hard drive, but at least the corrupted file is fixed.

The Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 and bad clusters and bad sectors aren't a good sign. Confuser running any faster ?.

The Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 and bad clusters and bad sectors aren't a good sign. Confuser running any faster ?.

It seems to be having fewer hiccups and things open faster. So, I think the CHKDSK helped. So glad to have gotten rid of that corrupted text file that was causing me grief.

Try and run G Smart again.

Download GSmartControl for Windows and save it to your desktop, http://gsmartcontrol.en.softonic.com/
Unzip the folder to your desktop
Double click gsmartcontrol.exe
Allow the program to search for and list your hard drive(s)
Double click your drive
Go to the PERFORM TESTS tab
Make sure that the TEST TYPE is set to SHORT SELF-TEST
Click the EXECUTE button
After the test completes, click the VIEW OUTPUT button and copy and paste the contents in your reply. The drive is defiantly failing .

Try and run G Smart again.

Download GSmartControl for Windows and save it to your desktop, http://gsmartcontrol.en.softonic.com/
Unzip the folder to your desktop
Double click gsmartcontrol.exe
Allow the program to search for and list your hard drive(s)
Double click your drive
Go to the PERFORM TESTS tab
Make sure that the TEST TYPE is set to SHORT SELF-TEST
Click the EXECUTE button
After the test completes, click the VIEW OUTPUT button and copy and paste the contents in your reply. The drive is defiantly failing .

It still gives the same error about not being able to run the test. I even ran as administrator. But the error said "sending command failed".

Ok, Lets wait till you install the new drive , We can then fix any issues you have . Did you buy the OEM win 7 disk, or did a friend lend you his ?

Ok, Lets wait till you install the new drive , We can then fix any issues you have . Did you buy the OEM win 7 disk, or did a friend lend you his ?

Bought it, but can't find it. I don't know what happened to a lot of my installation CDs. I've moved my computer to a different room and I'm horrible at remembering where I put things and my house is a cluttered mess so things disappear all the time.

Would rearming the OS work? I saw something here: http://www.ashiktricks.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-fix/ and was wondering if that would cause problems and/or whether or not it would be ok to do that.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to call MS.

Sometimes you can buy a CD and it is a bootleg .

Also they are not made to put on more then one computer . There is a file in there that will show it illegal if you do .

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service
1 (800) 642-7676

Your best bet is to call MS.

Sometimes you can buy a CD and it is a bootleg .

Also they are not made to put on more then one computer . There is a file in there that will show it illegal if you do .

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service
1 (800) 642-7676

I think part of the problem is that there were issues and my OS had to be reinstalled more than once on the same computer, and I had to change some hardware out over the years. MS would probably want some sort of security code or something and I don't have that anymore. But I can talk to them and see.

Latest posts

Back